1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troubleshooting help (Traxxas Teton)

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by SirNapkin, Jan 6, 2017.

1. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

I've owned a Traxxas Teton for about a year and a half now, and every problem I've every came across, I've been able to fix without a problem... Until now.

I been having power failure recently- The whole car works great, but the power often cuts, and it just stops. Nothing sounds wrong, but it will run for a while and then the receiver light goes out, and the it simply turns off. I'm guessing it is something to do with the wiring between the receiver and the esc, but I guess I really don't know enough about this to know where to start. If you would have any ideas, that would be great. Thanks.

2. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

check all the plugs starting with the battery connector

spawn and Monkeypiarat like this.
  3. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    It could be almost anything. Is it when you hit a bump or random. is it usually after about the same amount of time?
    try unhooking the steering servo and do your best to get it to cut out. with traxxas its usually servo related issue. In my experience. if it still cuts out we can assume its not that and move on. also are you running lipo or nihm battery? do you have more than one battery? because it could just be the battery giving up. they don't last forever,

4. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

For a while it was when I would bump it, it has become random though. I replaced my battery about 3 months ago, it's just the stock nimh. About the time- Sort of, but not really. Usually it doesn't stay on for more than about 3 minutes. And what are you thinking I should do with the servo? Sorry, newbie here... And how would I go about checking connections? Thanks.

5. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

if that model uses a tamiya type battery connector that is what i would look at first, the pins in the connector can get worn and not keep a good connection. wiggle the wires and see if you lose power

spawn likes this.
  6. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    its hard to say for sure without having it in hand. Did you try to see if it happens without the servo hooked up. Unhook it and just drive back and forward for a while and see if it shuts off. What connector is on the battery. Can you find a pic like it on the net and link us. Or upload one? It could just be a week battery connection like Walter suggested.

7. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

my latrax sst has a tamiya connector so i think the teton is the same

spawn likes this.
  8. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

Ok, I tried it without the servo connected, exact same thing. I tried running it into the wall at low speeds (what I originally thought was the problem- the jolt caused shut off because of loose wire...), but I've deduced that it is not the problem. It just died. I'm assuming, then, that it has nothing to do with the servo?
    The motor connector is a Tamiya, yes. One thing though that I still wonder about... I replaced my motor with the Team Assoc one when the Traxxas one died this summer. The connector was a different shape, so when this problem started happening, I took a little plug of copper wire and slipped it in the motor connector, and wrapped it all with some heat shrink. This hasn't changed anything, but I'm still not sure I'm convinced that it isn't the motor.
    What would you like pictures of? I could get those for you if you want to look at anything.

I'm too lazy to delete this all... Anyways, as I was typing this, I looked at my battery again, I think I see what you're talking about, Walter. On the battery side of the connector. the wires going into the plug are pretty loose, they are the cause of the issue it seems to me. Is that what you're thinking? If that's the issue, how should I go about fixing it?

9. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

that is what I was thinking. when it stops will the steering still work?

10. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Tighten the battery connection by squeezing the hollow metal tabs with a set of pliers or jamming a small flat screwdriver in beside them to force them shut a bit. Don't squeeze them to much though they will be hard to get together.

spawn likes this.
  11. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

I understand what you are asking, but how do I go about that? The wire and the metal tabs are completely encased in the male connector, is there a way I can get the connectors out to work with them?

12. spawn

spawn Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    bad conections battery and esc go deans or xt60 it u cant do it go to hobby shop tamiya plugs are junk . waltor the teton is the same as sst

13. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I live on a budget, so I'm trying to look for a simpler solution, I'd rather not do a rebuild or upgrade as of right now. Thanks for the advice though.

14. spawn

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    its the plugs solder new ones on mabe 5$ if u do ur self if u cant hobby shop might do cheep

15. spawn

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    bet motor esc are good and servo

16. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

Ok, so stupid question, but if I were to insert a copper plug into the wire receiver on the battery would that help the connection at all, or is it a case of the metal prongs being too loose? It seems like if I could help the wires stay tighter and keep connection better if I could insert a little plug in there. Worth a shot?

17. spawn

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    worth a shot . i do know the plugs a big prob .hope it helps

18. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

Alright, I'll try that. If it doesn't work out, I'll just replace the plugs. I didn't realize they were so cheap. Thanks.

19. spawn

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    hope it get u going a gine

20. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

That worked gloriously. I found some old speaker wire (no clue what gauge it was), but I took 3 one-inch sections of that and wrapped them together. I shoved that in the wire end of the battery's connector and snipped it off. I did that on both sides, wrapped it in electrical tape, and it works just like new. Thanks for helping!

00whynot, spawn and walter like this.