1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to turn axial deadbolt into mud truck.

Discussion in 'OFF Road Build Projects' started by RZC, Sep 14, 2017.

1. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

I have an axial scx10 deadbolt that I have had for a couple of years and used as a trail truck lightly. Only broke c hub and is now aluminum c hub and steering knuckle. So what i would like to do is turn it into a 2
    Speed brushless lipo truck. But if nimh is better for water so be it. I would hope for it to be water "resistant" I've seen medics videos on "waterproofing" and hope to keep budget under 300 but if getting another axial truck such as bomber would be more worth while then I would go for it.

Little Rascle and K9654 like this.
  2. K9654

K9654 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

So, t let me first say, GOOD ON YOU for wanting to modify it. The following is strictly my opinion and let me follow that by saying, I absolutely love it when someone goes outside the box. So with that being said, here's my advice. When building a custom purposed rig you have to commit to to that particular setting. You can build a multipurpose rig but that's going to have a different plan with different parts. So if your wanting a mud truck, here's what you need to focus on.

Aggressive tires
    Durable drivetrain
    Big power
    Waterproofing
    Lift kit - optional

Remember with a mud truck, MUD is HARD on a drivetrain. Typically you don't see a mud truck with a two speed, but I like the idea. A mud truck is usually all or nothing. You enter the mud and hammer down!!! I can tell you, our mud truck is a spare parts build with a modest brushless setup and a 3S lipo.

Now with that being said, you have a couple areas of mud. You have a bogger and a racer. Our bogger is the spare parts build, our dirt / mud drag truck (straight line) is quite a bit more of an extensive build, it's a 6S scx10 platform that weighs about 10lbs.

So kinda figure out which way you wanna go and develop a plan. Developing a plan will minimize your mistakes while building. When you are on a budget, which we pretty much all are, you have to spend smart. Planning and research is the key to that.

Feel free to check out our Facebook page to maybe get some ideas. You are welcome to message us with any questions and also there are lots of people on here that have built some pretty awesome mud trucks. Hope this kinda helps.

Facebook: K9 RC Oklahoma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DodgeZippy and Little Rascle like this.
  3. K9654

ELiTE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MUD TRUCK

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DIRT / MUD STRAIGHT LINE TRUCK

4. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

Nice trucks and I'm not exactly thinking hammering through mud but something that can make it over logs and still jump modest amounts of space and still be able to tackle a bit of mud. Now I wasn't sure if gearing will be a problem because I know that a rock crawler is geared for crawling. So I was thinking of using some wrath axles or rr10 bomber axles and using there gearing. Now if all that's impossible with a budget of $300 then I will be willing to spend $100 more on another truck. But if I can spend that extra 100 on more parts for the one I have then great. And thanks for helping me on that first part.

K9654 and Little Rascle like this.
  5. K9654

ELiTE MEMBER

OK cool, I'm following you. First off, Thank you and your very welcome buddy. That's why we are all here.

So, you can swap the AR-60's into an scx10 chassis with a little modification. Just search wroncho conversion. The gears are all interchangeable between axial models listed above. Mentioning what I said above about budgeting, you can use the the scx10 axles and spend way less on a quality set of wheel wideners, around 15-20mm, just make sure you get the ones that have a female barrel nut that still attaches to axle shaft. Also, sometimes on those wideners you have to drill out your wheel a little bigger to fit barrel nut.

If you go with a two speed, I think that will solve your gearing debate. If I'm correct, the 2 speed (such as RC4WD) is geared pretty low in first and pretty high in second, but I've never ran one so hopefully someone else can give you more tips on that.

I absolutely think you can achieve your goal with a budget of 300, depending on what all your keeping as is. You can also buy used, sometimes you can find some really good deals. Have you thought about what upgrades you are thinking of doing?

Little Rascle likes this.
  6. Little Rascle

Little Rascle Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Here is mine.
    She is box stock in the photos, other than tires & wheels of course. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

7. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

Has anyone checked out the g made GOM rock buggy I think it's pretty cool.

8. K9654

ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah, looks pretty cool. Haven't seen a list price yet, but I'll definitely be checking it out. I run a Gmade stealth chassis with scx10 drivetrain. I'm really happy with the chassis.
    [​IMG]

9. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    To be honest.. All you need for a SOLID wet work truck is a water proof ESC like a Hobbywing 1060 and a 35T brushed motor and make sure your reciever box is sealed..
    I have my reciever placed in a small plastic bag with some blu-tac in the neck of the bag so the wires can go out but the water cannot get in within the stock SCX10 reciever box and I just go full submarine.. With a 6cell NIMH 4200mah battery I have enough wheel speed to conquer the mud and enough run time to go anywhere.

REMEMBER MUD WEARS THINGS OUT AND GETS INTO PLACES YOU DONT WANT IT TO GO

Filling your diffs up with Marine grease goes a long way to prevent rust from settling in but it is still best to do regular pull downs and checks.

DodgeZippy, walter and Little Rascle like this.
  10. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

Can u guys recommend a motor and esc. As well as maybe a 2-speed transmission. I would also like to mount the steering servo to the chassis.

11. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

Sorry if u misinterpreted me k9654 but I ment this newer one: http://www.rcrun.com/gmade?product_id=990. But ur truck is still pretty cool. I love the aggressive treads. And thanks magnat007 for the input, I've seen medics videos on waterproofing the scx10 and have a pretty good idea on how to do that.

12. K9654

ELiTE MEMBER

No worries. I knew which one you were talking about. I was just making reference to gmade's products. I've used a few of their products and have never been disappointed. I'm kinda anxious to see the new one!!!

13. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

Same, I've actually never had a g made, before my first truck I looked at them but didn't end up with one.

14. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

Amazon doesn't even have it yet

15. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard of new axial blazer scx10II it was listed in tower hobbies catalog inside Rc car action. Magazine

16. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

Can you guys recommend a motor and esc combo or at least a motor if the esc is fine. And a 2 speed trans for my truck. Not sure what companies are good anymore.

17. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    personally I like the hobby wing wp1060, it's a good esc and waterproof out of the box, if you want brushless power a wp1060bl would be good too, as it too is waterproof, i've had good luck with goolrc motors, they're fairly inexpensive, i'm pretty sure they are also sold as hackmoto and powerhobby motors or get a tekin 35t but they are more expensive, my brother put this motor with a wp1060bl in his crawler/mudtruck and it rocked, it would pull wheelies in gooey mud with ease, http://www.ebay.com/itm/3670-4Poles...Car-Boat-US-/151729807180?hash=item2353cd1f4c it is a longer motor and requires a 5mm bore pinion rather than a 3.17mm like most 10th scale motors

18. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

What kind of wheels and tires do you have on your gmade

19. RZC

RZC Well-Known Member

K9654 what kind of shocks do you use on your black truck.

20. K9654

ELiTE MEMBER

If the wheel and tire question was for me buddy, they are RC4WD wheels and mud slinger 2.2's.

The shocks on the mud truck are just cheapie aluminum 120mm

DodgeZippy, walter and Little Rascle like this.