1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tug boat

Discussion in 'Boat Build Projects' started by Zain, May 10, 2017.

1. Zain

Zain Active Member

Hi, I am a newbie to balsa modeling. I am starting a build on a Tug/ fishing boat. I have a bunch of plans from a free site called http://www.shipmodell.com. I am extremely curious on the type of waterproof adhesive to be using. The boat will roughly be about 36 inches in length so I could also use some tips for planking as I'm sure it can be tricky.[​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem SM-J500FN mit Tapatalk

RustyWrench likes this.
  2. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Either go for a balsa cement or super glue. Do not use PVA!!

And then afterwards you'll have to coat with a waterproof coating. Looks like a good projects .. Look forward to seeing the progress,

Zain likes this.
  3. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Sorry, I beg to disagree. I grudgingly use epoxi when I have to paint things before assembly, otherwise always PVA. It does not even need to be waterproof (though I generally use waterproof). If plywood gets wet, it will warp something terrible, so everything that can come in contact with water (and it will) needs to be painted anyway.

I've done some hulls from scratch and am happy to help. But before I give some random tips and maybe cause a lot of confusion, I'd like to know whether the plan comes with any instructions about the materials to use and how to put the whole thing together.

How thick are the planks supposed to be? My gut-feeling looking at the pic you attached says it's not much, and in balsa ist way too thin. And balsa feels wrong for this type of boat anyway.

Most important is that you have something to hold the frames together before the planks do and to hold the hull steady so you can work on it.

lout likes this.