1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

United States FAA UAS Regulations

Discussion in 'Pilots Lounge' started by BenFink, Aug 10, 2016.

1. BenFink

BenFink Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I have been doing some research and have found that knowing the relatively new and extensive regulations for "drones" (expands further than quad copters) was quite hard and people often were mis-informed on these regulations. I am compiling this list to help others in the United States know what they can and can not do.

Starting august 29th 2016 the sUAS (small unmanned aircraft system) rule will be in effect

A UAS is a Unmanned Aircraft System. More specifically defined as: "a unmanned aircraft and its associated elements (including communication links and the components that control the unmanned aircraft) that are required for the safe and efficient operation of the small unmanned aircraft in the national airspace system." Model aircraft and rockets among others are exempt from this definition.

You are required to register your drone if it weighs above 0.55 pounds (roughly 0.25 Kg) and pay 5 U.S. dollars. This registration will be valid for 3 years. During registration you will need a Email Address, Credit or Debit Card, and a physical address or mailing address (wherever your mail is sent).
    Register here: https://registermyuas.faa.gov/

If your drone weighs more than 55 pounds (roughly 25 Kg) you must register by mail using "traditional aircraft Registration under 14 CFR Part 47" (basically a bunch of crap you don't really want to deal with)

Note: The city, state, and zip code of any registered UAS is public

In order to fly:

you must be 13 years old or older and a U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident (or have your UAS registered upon arrival in the United States.)

Label your UAS with your registration number in a location that's visible. (It can be in the battery compartment if it does not require a tool to open and can easily be seen once open). You have to use an engraving, permanent label, or permanent marker.

Read and understand all safety guidelines

If operating a UAS that is 55 pounds and above or operating a UAS for commercial purposes you must be a certified remote pilot airman or supervised by a remote pilot airman with a sUAS rating.

Note: there is an app called B4UFLY and it will help you know if your allowed to fly in certain locations

Safety Guidelines:

Fly at or below 400 feet or within 400 feet of a structure
    Keep your UAS within line of sight (no FPV unless you have a spotter or some other way to "see and avoid" FPV cameras do not count. You or the spotter must be able to see the uas without the assistance of any device accept glasses or contact lenses)
    You can only fly 30 minutes after sunrise to 30 minutes before sunset and must have proper "anti-collision lighting"
    Never fly near other aircraft and airports
    Never fly over someone not inside a vehicle or building
    Never fly over stadiums or sports events
    Never fly over emergency response efforts
    Never fly under the influence
    Be aware of airspace requirements (restricted airspace, and others)

The more extensive guidelines:

Maximum ground speed of 100 mph (160 kph)
    Never operate from a moving vehicle or aircraft
    No carriage of hazardous materials
    No reckless operations
    The operator must do a pre-flight inspection

States, towns, and cities have put in place additional regulations, make sure you know your local regulations as it is not listed on the FAA website. For example in Chicago you are not allowed to fly over schools, churches, and private property without permission (so almost anywhere).

The FAA regulations can be found here: http://www.faa.gov/uas/

and no you can not register your house as a no fly zone

In the end I don't think going through all this is worth it, no one is really gonna know all these rules. Just be safe and no one would probably even notice.

#1 BenFink, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  2. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    none of these rules are in place for the person operating the drone. they are there for the people that might get hit with it. I don't see anything there that i would not call common sense.
    No fly zones are the biggest pain in the but.

3. BenFink

BenFink Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    yeah, a lot of this does make sense but it sucks at the same time

It basically means I am going to have to find a place in my town where no one will bother me, I am in a suburban neighborhood that is in a No fly zone (within five miles of one of the biggest airports in the world) and Close to a city so most of the area is either private property or a moderately busy but busy enough park and schools or churches are really common in my area too, and to think that I was gonna ask if I could fly my drone in my churches parking lot....

I did have a good laugh though when reading they were considering strapping a baby to a quad copter as a possible loop hole and when they have to tell you not to transport items to or from hawaii using a UAS (because you would most likely cross international territory).

I thought I listed it but I guess not, your not allowed to fly above people who are not in houses or vehicles, makes sense in most applications but in others its a dumb rule too.

Little Rascle likes this.
  4. Little Rascle

Little Rascle Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I haven't flown mine since December, because of the confusion that all that non since erupted.