1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Videoing while still driving with two hands.

Discussion in 'RC Chat, Tutorials, Ideas, Requests, Etc' started by Defib, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Defib

Defib Active Member

I tried a bit of videoing last week but failed terribly while trying to drive one handed. On thinking about it, I was wondering if anyone has seen any adaptors etc that would allow you to fit a Go-Pro or a mobile phone to your controller to allow filming and driving with both hands?

walter likes this.
  2. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

good idea, you may need to make your own.

Defib likes this.
  3. Defib

Defib Active Member

Might have to patent it. ;)

walter likes this.
  4. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    ive done it. ive even mounted a 3 axis gimbal on top. its clumsy and very hard to get a good shot.
    what controller do you use. I film ad drive all the time. i can even manage one handed drifting while filming.
    Key is all in your controller. it needs to be easy to reach the steering.
    you can make or buy a little thumb flapydo to make it easier to steer.

I use a 3 axis brushles gimbal on the end of a selfi stick to film my trucks. it works great.

Defib likes this.
  5. Defib

Defib Active Member

Was thinking of something along the lines of a slefie-stick adaptation or a "in-car mobile" adaptation.

I just have the basic DX controller that comes with the Deadbolt RTR. Nothing special. I have seen the controller addons for single-handed driving and my controller is compact enough for driving one handed already, but I dont like it and would rather look for a way to film while driving 2 handed.

6. Polaris425

Polaris425 Moderator
    MODERATOR ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I have a small tripod that I can hold between my hand and the handle, and it's tall enough to stick up over the top of the Tx.

It too is a bit difficult to get good shots though, as you're usually moving around and sometimes it will get a little crooked.

7. Low Budget Hobbies

Media:
    I put one of the sticky GoPro mounts on the bottom base (on top of the flat part that holds the batteries, not underneath where the battery cover is) of my FS-GT3b and it works pretty well. It is a little awkward holding up the controller to my face so I can see through the screen but once you get a feel for where the camera is filming most of the time you can hold the controller normally and move the controller within the field of filming. However you can hear a lot of the controller's movements in the video, it isn't too noticeable if you are rock crawling or trail driving but bashing and racing when I'm really fighting the controller the audio does get a little annoying.

walter likes this.