1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

want to get a better drifter, sakura d4?

Discussion in 'RC Drifting' started by Spence123, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hi all, I like my e10, but lack of upgradability, cheap garbage designs (like plastic diff pinions, trying to do the slash pinion mod) I already upgraded it to the moon and I am bummed out lol... I mean I put a hackmoto 27t motor, running it on 3s, yeah racing motor mount, shock towers, sprint 2 shocks, slammed the thing to the floor, yeah racing driveshafts front and rear, and a fast eddy sealed bearing kit....

I was curious about getting a sakura d4 as I just really love drifting, but I understand they are of superior build quality even tho parts support is from china, would it be worth it to pickup a kit sakura d4? Like where can I source belts that aren't from China for it? I know I would need a body, and esc motor and receiver for it and a servo...

I am experienced in the hobby I have been in this hobby for 7 years now...
    I was also considering a team associated apex roller for $94 its a shafty but a better e10 essentially

Thanks
    -Spence

2. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    the d4 is a great car. cant answer your questions tho. i think china is the only option.
    i myself like my hpi sprint 2 drift.

3. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    so would you say finding a second hand sprint 2 is a better option? HPI discontinued the sprint 2 kits... There is one on ebay for $178 but he also said make an offer for a roller
    and belt support is kinda annoying, I bet its a standard size so I mean idk

#3 Spence123, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  4. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    I had no issues getting a belt for it when i needed. I love mine. It handles great.
    I only paid $120 for mine i found it localy on a buy and sell site.

5. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Go shaft drive if you dont want to go a belt drive..
    A Traxxas 4tech 2.0 could be made into a decent drifter.
    Team associated Apex or TC4 also would make good drifters..
    but for better control belt drive is more rewarding to drive.

And don't over look the Humble Tamiya TT-01 or TT-02.

It doesn't really matter which chassis you end up going for.. all of them can pretty much take a Yokomo S15 Body shell for ultimate Uber Drift elite looks.

6. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Cool, I mean maybe the apex would be cool as RTR because I could use it as an ultra fast on road car or drifter just from a tire swap... I really wish HPI made the e10 better, I wished they did: Metal (even aluminum) diff pinion, stiffer chassis and a better spur gear...

I feel like I am stuck with my e10 now and its a horrible chassis but I really enjoy drifting it, and I doubt I would kill a diff pinion with a 27t motor stock gearing and plastic diff tires and 3s, I have a backup plan because HPI is out of stock on the ring and pinion gears... Slash pinions seem to mesh ok...

But I really was re-considering the mission d from hobbyking, a friend of mine just got one hasn't even test drove it yet, and I think that would be good belt drifting on the cheap plus its very upgradable right from hobbyking... I worry about the stock driveshafts tho, I bet stuff fits, the mission d looks really cool but its intermediate so since I really like drifting is it a good option to consider? I mean it keeps selling out on hobbyking !

I mean is it true that the belt drive is a lot more wonderful to drift with? I really now am very much considering a mission d but I really want a sakura d4 not sure on the belts and what is compatible or if I have to buy all belts for it from china

#6 Spence123, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  7. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    OK Lets deal with the whole belt thing first.
    Belt drives dont have torque steer as all rotary motion is in the direction of travel making it a much more pleasant and balanced platform to control.. Downside is they are not a RELIABLE platform if you are NOT on a dedicated RC track.. they are essentially designed for Racing more so then drifting do if you want the better driving platform you have to deal with Belt snappage..
    Will you snap a belt everytime you go out ?? its possible..

Shaft drives have torque steer.. Every time you squeeze the trigger the chassis wants to twist out of line.. which can be beneficial to a drifter but at the same time can cause the whole vehicle to snap around and spin if you are not careful.. Shaft drives accelerate off the line alot better than belt drive but down side is they are not as stable to drive and control as a belt but at least you dont run the risk of shredding a belt each time you go out.. So if your area that you intend to drift on is not 100% stone free... then a shaft drive is the way to go.

The E10 chassis was not designed to take Brushless or 3S.. It was hardly designed to take a motor rated higher than a 19T on 2s.. It was HPI's attempt at stealing Tamiya's supremacy of the TT-01 platform which at the time was the king of drifting and street racing as it was so affordable..

You have already answered your question pretty much by saying that with the Apex you could go drifting and racing with the one chassis with just a tire swap.. So I would say.. the Apex is where you should be heading..

[​IMG]

Antho11 and walter like this.
  8. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I agree with @Magnat! I own a Team Associated Apex and I use it for drifting and racing on the street. A quick tire swap and it's a completely different animal. It has all the power you'll ever want on a 3s lipo and it's very durable. The only problem I've had with it is that on occasion a rock will get stuck between the pinion and spur gear because they aren't protected, I've gotten around this by making a little guard. The only thing that has broken on it was a wheel when I crashed it sideways into a sidewalk, besides that nothing! Overall it's a great rc for the money.