1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water Proofing :Balloon Method

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by Magnat007, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Magnat007
    Instant PM

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eWbGEhEQxc

Simple, easy, low cost but does offer protection for Recievers and Winch Controllers.

As with all Mods.. you do so at OWN RISK

All this is doing is creating a barrier between your electronics and water...

#1 Magnat007, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    dazer1975 and Crankbait like this.
  2. Crankbait
    Instant PM

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Great tutorial!:haveaniceday:
    Simple and easy!

Do you ever put any silicon in the opening before you seal it or just leave it as is?

3. nachos
    Instant PM

nachos Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I"ve been doing this mod for over a year now.

It's a simple, cost free method.
    I also run streamer balloons from the reviever to the servos.
    I tuck the streamer balloon inside the reciever balloon then use two tie wraps.
    My water troubles went away once I did that.
    I also use double sided tape to hold the balloon down in it's tray and there's no need for the reciever cover.
    I leave them off.

4. segersshop
    Instant PM

segersshop Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

awesome !!!thats how i did mine on my wraith . but i left the neck long as i could so it would hang out of receiver box and then put a ziptie then marine grease then another ziptip for extra ..

5. Magnat007
    Instant PM

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Yeah thats why at the end of the vid I put additional information as the longer you leave the neck, the more you can seal it but the harder it is to stretch...
    You can as Crankbait suggested line the neck with Silicon but I found Grease to work just as well.. Anything to stop the water getting in...
    I have not submerged my winch controller yet... but it has passed the water splash test with flying colors..

#5 Magnat007, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  6. prophet
    Instant PM

prophet Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Great tutorial mate! Simple and easy to understand. :) Well presented. Awesome work!!!

7. Callmecowboy
    Instant PM

Callmecowboy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Is there a thread that is designated specifically to waterproofing? If not I think we should start one. I would like to share some of my waterproofing methods with people also and I'm very curious to see How other people do it. A pic heavy thread would be awsome to or videos... Like yours mrmagnat

8. Azrayel74
    Instant PM

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

Very nice job Magnat... I stickied the thread so this one doesn't get lost in the postings... :)

9. sirkingdra
    Instant PM

sirkingdra Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I've Plasti-Dipped my ESC and my Receiver is inside of a Traxxas Water Proof Receiver Box, I'd like to pop my Receiver in a tupper wear container as well for just that extra protection, if the truck goes in deep water. Holes need to be drilled out for your cords/wire to come out of the container to hook up your servo etc, does anyone have a good suggestion on what I could use to seal the drilled holes with to keep water from getting in? I've tried Silicone twice. It never held, it always has a tendency to pull away from the plastic surface (even if you rough the edges of the container with a file.) Any suggestions that does not involve silicone for patching the holes?

10. nachos
    Instant PM

nachos Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I doubt plugging the holes will keep water out.
    I would suggest putting your electronics in a balloon then tie wrap the end of the balloon nice and tight.
    Then put your electronics back into your Tupperware for added protection if you desire.

danny01 likes this.
  11. walter
    Instant PM

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

have you tryed liquid electrical tape for the holes? I put my esc in a radio shack project box then put liquid electrical tape over the holes and around the top and it stuck good.

12. tracanas
    Instant PM

tracanas Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

[​IMG]I've used that mod in another rc and it works. This time I simply putted silicone on all the possible entry points. Tested today and it went fine. I haven't submerged the rc and I don't intend to but i think that what I've done will do.