1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened to the forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions' started by Madmardigan, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Madmardigan

Madmardigan Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I've been on a bit of a break from RC and the forums. But a few friends of mine are just taking up the hobby and their constant rc questions has really got me back into it and checking out the forums again.
    I've noticed a few changes to the forum here. like all the sub catagories. This is just my opinion, but it just seems way to cluttered. There is a sub section for just about everything under the sun. Is this nessary?

I find I'm constantly moving from page to page, and I'm having a hard time keeping track of whats where, and where to post what. Why not just get rid of all the sub catigories in the "general rc discussion", "scale truck discussion", and "rock craewler discussion" and post a sticky thread for each topic in that pictular catigory. For example, why is there a section for waterproofing? Medic, I'm pretty sure you have done toutiorals on how to waterproof every part you would ever need to on a RC.

Why not just eliminate that section and make a sticky with your vids? you have a section "servos, winches, and gyros" in the General rc discussion, and then in the scale truck section there is a sub section called "servos, winches and bec's". There is two differnt sub sections for pretty much the exact same topic. And thats not the only instance where there is two of the same sub catigory, I could go on and on. there is a catigory for soldering in the scale truck section, but but not in any other catigory. Soldering is not a part of the hobby thats specific to trail trucks. Why not just a sticky for these types of topics?

It could just be my timeing, but it seems the traffic here is a bit slower that what I remember. It may just seem that way because of all the sub sections. Maybe there is just as much posting as before, but it more spread out. I think that if some of the sub catigories were removed it would make the forum more fun, and keep new members around.

Just my .02 cents

2. MightySilent

MightySilent Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    My guess is because some people don't look for stickied threads before asking the questions that already have been answered.

The subcategories at least keep those questions in their own little area.

But all this is just guesswork.

Oh, welcome back to the forums.

3. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator
    Staff Member ADMiNiSTRAToR SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Yes, that's exactly why! After 1 1/2 years of the forum growing, I am happy to say we have more traffic than ever! Usually its a consistant 200 or more people logged in at any 1 time.. almost 24 hours a day!

The Live Feed has been added for all to find posts, as well as a thread navbar. Its been awesome since we re-launched.. and with so many people from all around the world visiting - its been essential to keep the sub categories . .reports have been awesome, because people can find what they need.

Granted, this is not ideal for each and everyone of our visitors & Much like an RC video, there are things some people would like to see different. But, I have to ensure I do the best I can for the majority.

The forums have been like this now for over 4 months! Welcome back bro.. and just take some time to look around.. You will get used to it :)

Ill see what I can do to trim it up for you MadMardigan.. The community was built on what the people wanted.. and I will take your request in to serious consideration for future changes.

Heres some fun stats.. yes, it was slower this month. . but we are coming out of the the midst of the Low season of RC.. Common Summer time! haha

[​IMG]

4. Madmardigan

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks for the reply. I understand that sub forums are needed. I was only pointing out that there is multiple sub sections for the same topic. Wireing and soldering for a scaler, rock crawler, basher, on road are all pretty much the same configuration. A sub section called "electronics"(or whatever) in the general disscusion could cover a wider base, and may help more people. Somebody could learn from a issue someone had wiring his/her rock crawler that would equally apply to their scaler. But because that info was in a section that their not interested in they loose out on that info. There is pleanty of other scenarios where members could be loosing valueable info. Another example, lets say somebody is looking for tips on saughtering his esc for his crawler. A guy who is really into bashing is a expert at saughtering may not reply because the question was posted in a section he's not interested in.
    Sorry, I should of made myself more clear about my point in the OP.

I'm only one member. And if this is how the majority of the members like it I wouldnt blame you for keeping it the same.

#4 Madmardigan, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  5. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    You know, I really enjoy when folks can give a well thought-out idea and can portray what they mean.

I certainly understand where you coming from, and how you stated it. The other scenario is someone is specifically looking to solder their ESC in a Drift car.. but finds it too difficult to go through too many "General RC Questions".. and asked for specific sections for each RC group. So both sides are very viable.

Because of this.. i have been working today to compress the forums for you, and others :) I can only do as much as I can.. but will do my darndest to clean it up a bit for you!

Like I said.. this community is built on the needs and requests of the many.. and today Madmardigan, you became one of those people!

6. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    Madmardigan - My friend, thank you for the Advice on cleaning up the forums. Today I spent 4 hours compacting, and removing some fo the subforums. As I was able to have data from the last 4 months (since subforum implementation) - I was able to see where the forums were needed, and where we could "cut the fat". This was something I was always meaning to do.. but got sidetracked.

your suggestion was able to help me free up some resources, and help our community function in a better way. I hope you approve of the changes, and find them more visually appealing, as well as functional.

high 5, and thanks again. i know the community will appreciate the "ease of use" change.

:yo !:

7. Madmardigan

ELiTE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Thank you! And thank you for having a section for suggestions. I don't see that on any of the other forums I belong to. And I'll keep being a supporting member because of it!

8. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    If there is anything else I can do to make the forums better.. please make sure to let me know. That way I can keep implementing the things that make this community great!

Thanks again :)

9. Mowgli

Mowgli Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I thought something looked a little different, now I get it haha. This along with the live feed should make it a lot easier to get around:)

10. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    I agree..

In fact, Madmardigan brought up some good points. I have continued to work on the forums throughout the day.. and things look rather different. About 4-5 Months ago, I realized that things were rather "generalized" here - and folks where using the search feature like CRAZY.. just so they could find their way around.

Then i figured with the huge Server Upgrade.. the break down the sections so they could very detailed, with the option of being generalized under a main header, and subforums.

But, as Madmardigan pointed out.. it was almost "too individualistic"... So, today I made sure to rework the forum structure to better reflect the peoples needs.

I know its different, and yes, again we will have to learn where stuff is - BUT, I was able to shave about about 6" off the bottom of the forum page.

Is it the best it can be? I don't know.. but evolution takes growth and change. Im glad to try this out for a while :)

Thanks again Madmardigan!

:graffiti:

11. Madmardigan

ELiTE MEMBER

No, thank you! You've done more than I expected. I'm loving the changes, I just hope the other members do too.
    If I may make one more small request. I did a wright up a while ago on lipos that was made a sticky. Is it possible to have it moved from the newbie Q&A in general RC to the esc's wiring and batteries sub section of general rc?

12. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Medic... You cannot please everyone....... but you make a damned fine job of doing it..
    The new "Slim line" version is heaps better.. Less sub categories will make it easier for the newbe's to find the help they are looking for !!

:haveaniceday:

13. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    Sure bro... DONE!

Magnat007, my friend - I do not forget that you were the one who voiced your opinion back when I added the subforums. You also mentioned it was tougher to navigate back then. So, both of you made valid points to improve the community - and it was time to make a change!

BuilT For the Community, by the Community :graffiti:

14. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    Very well done. RC Sparks on a diet.

15. Rambodian

Rambodian New Member

Nice job, I like it............but live feed is the......BOSS......lol. Good idea to clean up the forums Madmardigan, and as a relatively new member I am impressed that you got right to the job djmedic2008.

Bravo lads :haveaniceday:

16. jaloos

Media:
    Well I was impressed with some of the changes till I tried to upload some course pics in the community group I made and found it to be well shall we say GONE.

As much as it was not busy or had a ton of action on it, it was a place that I had stored a few how to's and images that were going to be there for easy reference and referral.
    Being started in the winter it had not had a chance to get any locals onto it yet as we have not had the chance to start any planned outings with groups of people.

Not sure I want to go through the hassle of doing it all over again if in 4 months its going to get nuked.

[​IMG]

17. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    Groups are going to be closed Jaloos.. the software for vbulletin on groups.. is just sooo sh!tty.. Its a common issue with this software, and groups can be problematic. thats why we have had issues with so many. Sorry bro.. :(

I do my best, and I know sometimes it isnt good enough. I totally understand where you are coming from. Its a "for the good of the many" type of idea. I tried to recover the groups area.. and of course, spent about 2 days trying to figure out why people couldnt use it properly. Turns out it was the software the whole time. Sorry again Jaloos. It wasnt You, or your content bro.. it was vbulletin.

18. jaloos

Media:
    OK guess I will stop redoing everything then LOL. No worries is too bad though the concept is great but if the practicality of it isn't working then I guess its gotta go.

#18 jaloos, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013