1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a good beginner truck for a young kid?

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by Oddball RC, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Kklimek

Kklimek Member

Media:

Here is Teton on 2s LiPo - it's good car for kid as it has "training" mode - you cut down power to 50%, after kid is doing well you can give him full power to keep him playing longer with car instead of buying something more powerfull

2. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think that you are right about the 1/18 scale vehicles ....
    a lot of the 1/18s are going to be more picky about what terrain they will easily run on ...
    but in my opinion the smaller the scale the more limitations you will find ,,,
    when your daughter is ready you might want to move her up to 1/16 or even 1/10 scale ...
    just a thought ....when she and you are ready .....one of these days...
    while you are out bashing ... trade her for a moment ....and you run the 18 ...
    and let her run your 10 scale ....and note the difference ...
    and see if you are able to keep up with her..
    if she can drive ... a 10 scale will be more fun for her ...AND ... easier to drive ...
    as you will have learned from the temporary swap...
    in my opinion the smaller scale rc vehicles are good for the little ones to learn to drive ...
    or for the advanced user because they are limited because of their size and require more skill..
    once a younger enthusiast learns to drive.....
    and not splat on a wall or stump every single time with a session ending major repair ...
    they will quickly be ready for the entry level 10 scale ,,,
    or ,,,, you two might even want to share a 1/10 traxxas slash ...
    very tough and very capable...

sweet rc likes this.
  3. Kklimek

Kklimek Member

Media:
    Well my 3yo can't be left unnatended with 1:10 scale vehicle - he either hit himself with it, or hit someone else with it. hitting trees is realy my littlest concern :)

I know he can hit someone/himself with 1/18 but TBH it's so small truck, that the only thing he can do to himself is make himself or others dirty. Also 1/18 I can easily give to him indoor and he'll still be able to ride around and with 1:10 it's not possible in my case.

4. the_law_man01

the_law_man01 Member

Interesting. My boy's 1:18 Revell Modzilla MT runs all over the place. Pretty decent truck for under $100.

What did you expect? I'm a newbie!

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  5. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

I am not sure that I would leave a 3 year old unattended with any scale size of hobby grade RC ...
    but if I had to go against my better judgment and recommend a RC for a 3 year old ....
    I would recommend that they were supervised at all times
    and it would be with a 16 rock crawler ....
    because a 1/16 rock crawler is capable of being safer to handle as they are slow moving vehicles..
    they can be played with indoors or outside ...
    while outside they can move over reasonable obstacles or through a mowed lawn ...
    and a younger child would be able to get more drive time because ,,,
    they would not be getting stuck on the terrain,,, as much ...
    or would be able to anticipate the movements of the vehicle better because of the slower speed ,,
    and I believe that would allow them more independent drive time while being supervised ..
    there is nothing wrong with,,,,
    letting a 3 year old independently control a hobby grade RC ,,,
    however Hobby grade RC vehicles are recommended for 14 yr or older unattended ...
    for safety reasons as their little fingers could get hurt...
    if they get stuck and pick up the rc by the wrong part,,,,
    or if the throttle is accidently activated while holding the vehicle.....
    the younger the enthusiast the more supervision is required ...:)
    I am not sure that I have seen any toy grade RC that is recommended for 3 or younger ...
    just my opinion;)

#25 Monkeypiarat, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  6. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

the only thing that really matters is that you and your family have fun and are safe :)

7. Kklimek

Kklimek Member

Media:
    Ok, by "unattended" i meant not holding the controller with him, keeping an eye at each and every move - I've tried to ride a 1:10 model like that with him and he was realy unhappy about me controlling his every move. I need something that I can watch while he runs and react fast enough if something goes bad (TBH what can go bad with 1/18 model). I would like to give him something he can steer on his own, without me nervously stopping him from hitting full throthle on 1:10 car and running over himself

8. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

I would suggest a rock crawler 1/10 scale or smaller that you choose ...
    I believe that rock crawlers are best suited for little folk ... just my opinion..;)

Oddball RC likes this.
  9. the_law_man01

the_law_man01 Member

I guess I don't remember reading that he's 3 years old. I would go with the Teton, Redcat Everest 16, etc and get a transmitter that you can dial down the throttle dual rates on. I'm looking at the Everest 16 as a basis for our indoor scale trucks. Might have to build some many Wraiths or similar.

What did you expect? I'm a newbie!

Oddball RC likes this.
  10. Oddball RC

Oddball RC Member

Media:
    I'll check that out.

Thank you,

OBRC

11. Donsrcmadness

Donsrcmadness Active Member

My 3 year old runs my 1/18 crawler all the time (he calls it "the slow one") always supervised and he knows that he can't drive unless I'm there. I'm going to be honest the 1/18 was the second hobby grade rc I ever bought and I bought it for me, but when I got more into the 1/10 s a nitro buggy and a sc electric I found that my oldest boy and I were having a blast but the little guy felt left out....bring out the 1/18 crawler now we can all bash and have a good time together. I won't let him drive the nitro or the 1/10 sc truck they are simply too fast and his reaction time just isn't there yet but the crawler lets him learn the controls and how a car reacts and I'm sure when he gets a little bigger he'll outdrive me and his older brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K.C.'s RC, Monkeypiarat and sweet rc like this.
  12. Kklimek

Kklimek Member

Media:
  13. the_law_man01

the_law_man01 Member

K.C.'s RC likes this.