1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a Trail truck ? A Rough Guide

Discussion in 'Scale Truck Chat' started by Magnat007, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    A Trail truck is a truck that fits in between a Scaler and a Rock Crawler.. Its sort of in the middle.

For some of us, We like to have a rig that sorta resembles a Real offroader but doesn't have the exact replication and attention degree a Scale offroader has.

[​IMG]

My Silverado is an example of a trail truck.
    It doesn't have exact Rims that Chevy have fitted. It is missing Door mirrors and those little details that would other wise make it a Scale Offroader.

A trail truck is a sort of All Terrain RC. Its just as Happy to be out on the rocks as it is playing in the wet sand at a Beach...

Can I have a Scale offroader as a trail truck ?
    Yes..
    If you don't mind knocking off some of those delicate parts off the truck as you go exploring !!

How do I find good trails ?

Trails can be found literally anywhere.
    A good place to look is your local National Park/Recreational area or State Forest.
    Be mindful that some recreational areas don't allow radio controlled vehicles .
    I have found in my area that most Bush-walking tracks are excellent area's for Trailing. Go for a walk, Scout out an area.. and you will get exercise as well as having fun.

What Should a trail truck have ?
    1. Decent Tyres : Not Racing Slicks.
    2. Be As WaterProof as you can make it. You Never know what may lie down a trail.
    3. A Strong Steering Servo : 10kg-15kg is plenty.After all it is not a dedicated Rock Crawler.
    4. A Motor Between 35T and 23T is usually Enough, You want enough torque to pull you through mud but enough wheel speed not to be slow
    Winches are optional as are any other devices you wish to add to make it your own !
    You Can make a 2WD trail truck but just remember, If there is nothing to pull the front of the truck over an object then chances are it will get stuck.
    A Locked Rear Diff will help a 2WD trail truck go further off road.
    The more Narrow wheel base your truck has, the tighter trails it can take.

Do I need Lipo Batteries ?

In Short.. No. If you already have a 6cell NICD or NIMH batteries your ready to go.
    If you do not already have a Battery charger or Batteries then Yes by all means go with LIPO just make sure your ESC has a LIPO Cutoff or purchase a seperate unit that does and make sure your chosen charger has a balancer. To avoid dangerous over charging..

Most importantly YOU NEED A CAMERA !!!
    No point going on an Epic trail run if you cannot share it with the World !!!

#1 Magnat007, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
    Dribble likes this.
  2. TNCrawler

TNCrawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey this is pretty cool, thanks for sharing! Awesome rig btw (CHEVYS RULE & FORDS DROOL!!)

3. Honda95freek

Honda95freek MadMan Moderator

Well said my friend, well said. I think I'm going a little more on the trail side. I want some detail on my rig, but I also want to run it and not feel bad about scraping it up on stuff. I think if a put on the little stuff like side mirrors and wind shield wipers I wouldn't want to break it and it would sit more than run. But it's gotta look good on camera!

4. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

Well said, Bro! Thanks for taking the time to write and put this up, very informative.

:)

5. ChasinRC

ChasinRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

great write up :) thanks!

6. lizard017

lizard017 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

x2 on the camera, its one thing to have fun by yourself, but its even sweeter when you can share it and bring joy to the many who love to watch,,,,,,good point added in there

7. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

Good work on the write up. I agree, thanks for sharing this with everyone, and nice looking rig, got to agree with what TNCrawler said as well hahaha

8. Krazy Joe

Krazy Joe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah Chevys rule and yes fords drool but. JEEP IS GOD!!!

9. scx10creeper84

scx10creeper84 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hell yes! thats what i'm talking about.

10. Takinpapers

Takinpapers New Member

Very nice. Well put. Thank you for sharing. Chevy rule!! Ford backwards = driver returned on foot

11. tundrafan10

tundrafan10 New Member

dude killer write up i totally agree on every part of it and think you did an aweose job and yet agian i totally agree on hte camrea.

12. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks all.
    This just clears up the questions that we often see like what motor and what servo..

13. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

i think you spelt it backwards mate, jeep is dog!!! he he he, nah nah nah all good, joke joke!!!!!!!!
    ford's got one thing going for em, the oval badge, but its the wrong colour, needs to be green, and say LAND ROVER!!!!!!!
    "You can go fast,but I can go anywhere!!!!!"

14. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Jeep=just empty every pocket...LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. 89f1504x4

89f1504x4 New Member

great job on explaining the diffrence nice truck and i like the just empty every pocket ford man here and i guess im the only one lol

16. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    I'm a ford owner as well

17. gabehunt

gabehunt Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ford Power!!!! im a ford guy at heart, but nothing against all the others.

but anyways, this is a great writeup for new people trying to figure out the hobby.

Maybe a sticky?

18. dembowns

dembowns New Member

nice one mate, said it perfectly, +1 to camera, and maybe even a mini tripod

19. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    This Post got buried with all the popular and awesome questions in the Trailing section.

It may help those new to the sport on Identifing the difference between a Scale RC and a Trail RC.
    [​IMG]

The Green one is a Scaler (It looks like an Old Chevy) the Blue and Pink one is a trailer (Looks nothing like a ford) but it isn't a rock crawler..