1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELICOPTERS What is my next step?

Discussion in 'Pilots Lounge' started by Magnat007, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    As you all know I got given a nifty little indoor 3.5 channel Helicopter...
    What is my next step ?

I want to stick to a Co-ax as I am still not too crash hot..

What would you recommend as a Next step Helicopter thats approx 20cm and above so it can be flown outside on a calm day yet inside when wet..

2. 4mods

4mods Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

Try and find something that is fixed pitch. You can find them in smaller sizes still and they work quite well. Forget the model but I think I had one from eflite that was really fun.

3. TracaR

TracaR MASTER BUiLDER

4. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Fixed Pitch means no 3D correct ?

5. TracaR

TracaR MASTER BUiLDER

correct...

6. Chunder

Chunder Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

The Blade 120SR is your best bet if you want something that can go outside. It's the easiest single rotor heli to fly, still very durable, and still small enough to fly inside.

7. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    What about Scale ? I was looking at an E-sky Dauphin as I do like the scale look more so then the Stunt copter style ?

8. RobscoRC

RobscoRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

You need To learn to fly before you worry about scale looks, and you won't learn on a chi see knock off. The 120sr is and will always be the best learning heli for the dollar. Learn to fly that then look into scale

9. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Ahah.. Now I know I can kill 2 birds with one stone... I can get the SR WITH a Bodykit...

10. Chunder

Chunder Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

The SR Huey is a collective pitch, not a fixed pitch, and it will be A LOT harder to fly, and break a lot more easily. I wouldn't recommend the SR at all as it's not the best flying heli.

It's the 120 SR we're recommending, not just the SR.

11. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Yes but the 120SR can use the Blade CX2 bodies (With a little fabrication)

[​IMG]
    Pic Sourced from Internet

Unfortunately I priced up a 120SR and they are out of the price bracket by around $80AUD

All I am able to find are ones that are $259 AUD then I have to add postage onto that.

The Other large Co-axials are comming in under the $180AUD delivered

#11 Magnat007, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  12. RobscoRC

RobscoRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

It's unfortunate that the price is out of range, but I stuck by it. Good helis are worth the money. You'll only buy one 120sr, get a knock off and you'll end up buying three that only half fly and break apart at the thought of a crash.. This hobby is the same as all hobbys, not cheap

13. -NB-

-NB- New Member

Im a noob to heli's and I'm going to picked up a 120 sr today used as my first heli. also picking up a Dx6i that I can used with the 120sr and my super cub. should be a good start.

14. Madmardigan

Madmardigan Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I got a blade sr that I fly regulary. I've probably had 30-40 flights without any major crashes or breaks, the wors I have done is a few rotor strikes. I still havent broken a single part. I found that it is pretty stable for a cp heli of that size. I definetly wouldnt recommend it for a first, but I think its a awsome heli for a first cp. Other than the tail wag (that can be minimized) what is it exactly you dont like?

15. Chunder

Chunder Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

Firstly, they eat tail motors. Something about the design (and some people don't have this issue ever) but it's one reason why they've limited the controller to a mere 10% travel on the rudder. It makes it very unresponsive, and way more prone to a tail-blowout, which is worse when you're learning to fly CP's as opposed to having some practice.

I've never been able to get the tail wag down to a level I would consider acceptable without completely deadening the tail response.

Also, being only available in ready to fly implies that the controller would be good for learning, and it's not. Not counting the limited rudder, there's no way to program in any exponential which I would say is extremely useful for a learner. I also find the pitch settings off, and of course no way to change them. And mechanical trims when even the little MSR and 120SR controllers have digital trims is horrible. These wouldn't really be much of an issue if you were using something other than the default controller, but for something being promoted as a complete package for beginners, I'd say it's misleading to say the least.

And something about the way it flies just doesn't feel right to me. It feels mushy. Also, it's like it has more pitch control compared to roll control when put against other helis, or something. And it's not something you can work out by using travel adjusts or anything. It just feels off, especially when compared to other collective pitch helis.

Now don't get me wrong, it's miles better than the turdlike Blade CP I started on, but it's still not something I'd recommend as a good heli. There's a reason it's way less than half of what something like a T-rex 250 costs, and in this case I'd definitely say you get what you pay for.

#15 Chunder, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  16. Madmardigan

Madmardigan Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

My heli experience is pretty limited. The only other collictive pitch heli I have experience with is the helimax cp. That thing almost made me give up on rc helis. at best I was geting 3 good flights out of 10. So going from that to the blade sr, the sr seemed like a piece of cake to fly. I'm not crazy about the controls either, I have thought of using my dx6i for ir, but I know the only reason its so easy to fly is because of the expo settings on the sr transmitter. But I'm having alot of fun with it, I havent attempted any 3d flying with it. I keep that to the sim, and I'm sure that is why I havent crashed or burnt uo any tail motors.
    Thanks for the info

17. verticalsprk

verticalsprk Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ok, Im going to chime in with my two cents here. Feel free to ignore me if you want but I have seen this happen a lot.

Any 3.5 channel heli is not a hobby quality model. Period. They are fun to mess around with the animals but thats about as far as it goes. If you want to transition to a actual heli I would spend the extra little bit of money and get a fixed blade heli with 4 channels min. Personally I like the blade series and am a huge fan of the mSR and the 120SR. Both are very capable of flying outside but the the mSR is harder to see outside (smaller) but the 120SR is hard to fly inside (larger).

I have seen more than my fair share of people jump from a "mall" heli to a CP heli and do good for a flight or two but eventually it overwhelms them and it ends up in pieces. Im not saying that it will happen to you but that 90% of the time it does. I would stick with at good strong little heli.

18. jeremy878785

jeremy878785 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

That should work just fine.