1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Kind of Batteries Do You Guys Run? And Chargers!

Discussion in 'RC Chat, Tutorials, Ideas, Requests, Etc' started by Roadside_Racoon, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Roadside_Racoon

Roadside_Racoon Active Member

So what do you guys run? What capacity, discharge and charge rate, and what manufacturer do you prefer? What vehicles do you run them in? Do you use different batteries for different applications and conditions? Or do you run the same packs? Just looking for opinions and discussions on different battery manufacturers. What's that worse experience you've had with LiPos or NiMH? The best? What's your oldest battery? Has it held up well?

What chargers do you guys use? Does it work well? Get the job done?

Feel free to discuss anything to do with batteries!
    We all run them (except for the Nitro girls and guys), so it's just something to talk about. We can learn from each others thoughts and opinions and make better choices when purchasing batteries.

I'll start...

I run these "Park N Power" packs that are exclusive to my area. A local guy puts these packs together. I don't think you can find them anywhere else, not entirely sure. Anyways they are great packs and they do pack a punch. I only run 3S in my Slash, and 2S in my SCX10. I've had these packs for about 7 months and they still run great.

[​IMG]

I've owned a 2S Venom battery before and I HAVE had ISSUES with it. I went to go charge it and both of the cells were defective. Yup. It only lasted about 2 months. I've tried out NiMH and they don't perform that well compared to LiPos. They are great to start with, but man, the voltage drops so quickly on those batts. Especially when using them in a high powered vehicle. Looking to purchase SMC batts soon.

For charging purposes, I use my Venom Pro 2 Charger. It works great and gets the job done. It's got different modes and can charge both NiMH and LiPo.

2. K.C.'s RC

K.C.'s RC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I use Floureon and ZOP Power packs. And for charging I use my IMax B6.

Mark Liersch likes this.
  3. Mark Liersch

Mark Liersch Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I have a 5000mAh 2s Venom battery that I have been running since I got my Wraith. That was (I think) either the very end of 2011, or the very beginning of 2012. I have never had an issue with it, and have 4 more of them... But in the same breath, I have (had) a 5000mAh 3s battery from Venom, and it puffed up like a balloon. It is sitting out back right now in a bucket of salt water, dying a slow death. Should be totally inactive and useless as a battery by tomorrow...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Roadside_Racoon and K.C.'s RC like this.
  4. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Used to be a Lipo battery had a life of 100-150 charge/discharge cycles. Not sure what they are now, but that one 2s Venom battery I have is up around 250-300 charge/discharge cycles. Both cells discharge equally when used, and it charges the same way...

5. Roadside_Racoon

Wow 5 years for a Lipo? That's quite good. Hopefully I can get a few more years on mine, currently at 8 months and no issues...

K.C.'s RC likes this.
  6. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I had an Onyx245 charger for 5 years, worked great 'til it didn't. I had a bunch of smaller 1200mAh 3s batteries I used to power lighting, and the same number of small 2s 2000mAh batteries for winches and spares. I don't have them anymore, because the charger basically stopped balancing all cells, and would overcharge one cell. There went a couple hundred bucks in batteries... I now have a HiTec X2 AC Plus charger, and love it...

Little Rascle and K.C.'s RC like this.
  7. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    This is my "veteran" battery... still works great, balances and charges fine...[​IMG]

8. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Bought it when I bought the Wraith...

K.C.'s RC likes this.
  9. Darkhorse_Steele

Darkhorse_Steele Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have an iMax B6 charger and Flureon lipos. 2 2s and 2 3s not sure of the specs off the top of my head. I've had them for a couple of months. Still fairly new to lipos. Still have several nimh I use on a couple of Traxxas trucks and my HPI Jumpshot SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I run 6cell 7.2v NIMH packs in my SCX10 and I use an Imax B6.
    NIMH don't care about getting wet... They add the necessary weight to the front of the rig without the need of wheel weights and from a 4200nimh pack I get about an hour's solid trailing on a 35T motor..

I WILL NEVER USE LIPO...

LiFeo4 batteries will be my next step when they stop making NIMH

Little Rascle likes this.
  11. Tombsy

Tombsy Boat Racing Fanatic
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Mag your missing out, nothing like the spark from 10s packs to make you pee yourself a bit. Lol.
    I'm a huge Revolectrix fan and now they have a Canadian distributor with cheap (or free) shipping. Just got some 3s, 4s, and 6s packs all 70c for boats.
    I got a couple of Giant Powers graphene 5s packs to try, they have reasonable shipping to Canada.
    I use a pair of Revolectrix PL8 chargers with the Bump controller.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    A spark from a 10s battery? Damn, that'll make the heart stutter a bit...lol

13. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nice charger set-up...

14. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

i typically use cheap lipos .. ive had a couple 2s Turnigys that preformed great one was sold in a RC trade oher is currently low volted to to step son running dead and tossing in the closet for 3 months ... maybe i can save it ??
    /
    i have several Zippy lipos in the 2200mah 3s range that preform great i run them in series in my scx-10 for 6s power ( my esc and motor can handle it) and run them under water ... charge at 6amps and play hard ... ( why i like cheap lipos that can handle at least 6 amps so i can charge fast with my 6amp max venom proII charger .. if i loose one it is not a big deal... I always storage charge my lipos when im done playing ..

15. Roadside_Racoon

That has definitely taken some abuse... Well at least it looks like it.

Little Rascle and Mark Liersch like this.
  16. Roadside_Racoon

Damn that's a serious charging station.

17. Venturi XR

Venturi XR Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I run NiMh batteries and I have a multi chemistry battery charger and the brand name is radient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Roadside_Racoon

How come you don't run LiPo?

19. Tombsy

Tombsy Boat Racing Fanatic
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The Bump controller is pretty cool, it controls both chargers (up to 4) and uses Bump tags that store all the information about a battery and sets up the charger with one tap of the tag.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Looks like @Tombsy here has more Amps for his boats than my whole house uses... lol. Super nice set up...