1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What RC do i buy?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by RcKrawler, Dec 19, 2014.

1. RcKrawler

RcKrawler New Member

Hi everyone,

I am new to this hobby, and need some advice. My budget is $500. My family is in a small apartment, and I want a RC crawler.

:) Thanks

2. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think that if you want help deciding on what to buy.
    that you should provide more information on what exactly YOU want to do with your crawler
    are you interested in competition crawling. do you want a scale crawler.
    do you just want a crawler to work on even though you probably wont drive it.
    are you looking for an entry level crawler or something more advanced.
    how much of a hurry are you to start crawling?
    for 500 Dollars,,,,,,,,,, people will sell you anything ,
    what do I buy is a general question ,,,,, and in general the answer is ,,,,, buy what is in your own best interest.
    what I most always say to that question is.................
    the rock crawler that the beginner chooses should be based on what you want to do with your rc crawler.
    are you going to do competition crawling or will your crawler morph into a scale trail crawler.
    or after you get bit by the foff bug will everything else fade away?
    or like myself will you end up with a mixed martial arts Frankenstein monster?
    so the answer to the question ...what type of rc rock crawler is good for beginners.....
    it is the rc crawler that was chosen after the beginner has thought about and researched
    what he or she wants the crawler to end up being
    and made their choice based on what personal preferences or limitations that they face.
    when they are no longer a beginner but well into the rc journey.
    make your choice on where you want your crawler to go in the future and into the future.

if you are still not sure maybe you could explain a bit about what you think you want and that would be a good start, :cool:

#2 Monkeypiarat, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    sammy likes this.
  3. Homer Pyle

Homer Pyle Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

4. RcKrawler

RcKrawler New Member

Hi,

I am looking for an all round car that will crawl. I don't have outrageous crawling courses. I hope this will help.
    (btw I kinda wanna stay under 350.) :haveaniceday:

5. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

sup buddy
    that is a good bit of information ,, and if you don't mind I want to say somthing so that you will have 1 more thing to think about
    when YOU decide what YOU want. this is my experience/opinion,,,,
    when someone says rock crawler I think of an ax10 style ,,,or ,,, X frame crawler ,,,, and when I got my first rc ,,,
    I wanted a "CRAWLER" so after researching I thought that a serious rock crawler is what I wanted...
    so I went and found the nearest thing to an ax10 that I could find ,,,,an other entry level ax10 style crawler ,,,,,
    and while THAT crawler was very excellent and amazing on the rock crawling side ....
    I found that not having rocks, that I was having to travel farther and farther to get my crawler kick..,,
    and I was moving away from my original idea of what I want and I wanted to get back to the original purpose of why I wanted a crawler ....
    to get time running with an rc that I could keep up with when I go on walks for exercise..
    back to the point...
    if you want a "CRAWLER" research those ....they are excellent for rock crawling ....but if like me ,,,
    you have no crawler course or the rocks are not as close together as you thought...
    if you want to crawl but not all the time.
    and have trails and other places like urban jungle that you can drive,,,
    then you might think about a scale crawler style ,, or ,,
    scx10 style crawler. just for the simple fact that there are way more parts and accessories available for scale crawler,,
    and the scale thing adds a new detention to your rc fun....
    especillly if play/run time and customization is what you like ,,,,
    keep that in mind when you make your choice. I am not going to tell you what to choose ,,,
    I hope that,,
    my self and other can give you enough info for you to make an informed decision.
    and you get what YOU want.....
    that being said.. my opinion is,,,
    you should research scale ladder frame crawler or scx10 style crawler..

#5 Monkeypiarat, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  6. RcKrawler

RcKrawler New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the info. Is there any other rc than an SCX10?

(btw, I already researched and found that there are several variations of SCX10's. which variation?)

7. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

hey bud.
    every different one has their own things special things ,,,,,
    and to be honest i dont have any expieriance or never have been up close to an scx10 ,,,so i can only say what i would like by what i have read and videos i have seen .....so this is only what I want .....when I get my next build ,,,,
    I narrowed it to ,,, scx10 deadbolt or Gmade sawback..
    there are people here that can tell you all about all the scx10 or scale choises .....
    mine is an ax10 style with scale elements ...
    do a little research or go surf the axiel site and get some ideas.

8. RcKrawler

RcKrawler New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I researched the Gmade Sawback, and I have seen a real willies before:haveaniceday:. The Sawback has leaf springs, so I think I'm gonna get that. THANKS SOOO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!:graffiti:

9. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well I have a SCX10 Dingo Kit, RC4WD G2 Kit, and TF2 Kit, and a Losi Comp Crawler. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have on any of them rigs. The Dingo, TF2 and G2 are Scale Trail Trucks and all are very capable. The Comp Crawler when it comes to Rocks, Side Hills, Climes 80+ Deg angles. Each has it's purpose. The Trail Trucks are more versatile, with proper preparation and maintenance they can be tuned to do muli terrain very well. The Crawler does on thing it crawls. Albe it crawls amazing stuff, it can be modified and tuned for other terrain but it is designed for one thing only.

Dean

10. FASHER

FASHER New Member

11. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The site owner just did a complete move to a new forum platform about 3 days ago so there may be quite a few broken links. Click the report button and let them know there is an issue.

Homer Pyle likes this.
  12. Homer Pyle

Homer Pyle Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

13. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    Looks like the links didn't make the switch over.