1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best 1/10 to 1/8 scale 4wd basher

Discussion in 'Electric' started by hayex32, May 26, 2013.

1. hayex32
    Instant PM

hayex32 New Member

I'm looking to get into the hobby and i want a 1/10 or even 1/8 scale 4wd basher. I want something that's tough but also easy to get parts for when i break something. I would like to stick within my $500 budget.

2. thebeast
    Instant PM

thebeast New Member

probably slash 4x4 LCG, or traxxas rally, they are the same just different body and tires

3. kuskye25
    Instant PM

kuskye25 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

you absolutely wont find anything more durable then a 1/8th buggy.... and a slash will fail in comparison, not that a slash isnt a ok vehicle... get a rc8.2e, or a ofna buggy8-e

just look for rc bashing and high jump videos on youtube there is a reason most of them use a 1/8th buggy, durability is ummatched, ive owned a few of all classes of rc's and been racing bashing for 20 years, just so you have some backround on my opinion...

#3 kuskye25, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  4. kuskye25
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

here are my two i currently own..... ofna buggies.... hyper 7 tq and the new buggy8-e, both extremely durable, fast, and easy to work on...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Crankbait
    Instant PM

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

I will agree with Kuskye, but if you are looking for an rc other than a buggy the HPI Savage gets my vote.
    I have owned a lot of rc's and other than some buggies the Savage is as tough as they come.

6. hayex32
    Instant PM

hayex32 New Member

I have been looking at the axial exo rtr. Does anybody know if its any good.

7. bongofish
    Instant PM

bongofish Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Nothing wrong with a Slash.
    I have the 2WD brushless version and beat the living hell out of it daily. It's relatively inexpensive and comes with everything (depending on which model you go with)
    Traxxas has great customer service, and the aftermarket is definitely behind the Slash platform. The LCG (low center of gravity) isn't an issue. It's extremely easy to setup already and won't cost a dime to get the same results as the kit they offer.
    Best of luck though. Just go with what you want. Enjoy!

8. kuskye25
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

agreed i owned the old school savage25 and it was a beast for durability.... ive had a slash 4x4 and my buddy has the slash ultimate, they are good as i said but in comparison to a 1/8th buggy or even the savage for durability they fall way short....

I know for me durability is a huge massive thing on my list, if it is on yours dont get the axial, once again its not a bad kit, but is it extremely durable, i say no, others might say it is, but if put side by side to a 1/8th buggy itll fail just like the rest...

all i want to do is make sure you get something durable.... not trying to start a flaming war or anything... the exo and slash are good kits... just not on the absolute top of my list....

9. hvydingo
    Instant PM

hvydingo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I say a pede 4x4,not saying a 1/8th scale buggy/truggy aren't tough because they are.From what your budget says,a 1/8th scale is going to be pushing it.I run my 4x4 pede everywere,the weak link is the driveshafts on 3s on a pede,but with a little throttle control that can be fixed or a set of MIP cvd's.Another nice thing is you can have good time with a $40 batt in the traxxas/hpi models unless you go nitro,compared to having atleast a 4s in a 1/8th scale just to make it move,just trying to keep your budget in mind here.I use my 4x4 pede as a camera truck,and have put it against 1/16th-1/5th scales and it has walked away from all the wrecks with no problems.A buddy of mine has a losi8 and everytime he takes it out it breaks something mainly motor/esc wires come loose from getting hot and melting soldier.I wouldn't say the exo is a good basher,more of a light basher in my eyes like kuskye says,everytime I take the exo to the track something breaks.To me customer support is a good thing to look into also,and traxxas has the best support out there.Every R/C is going to break though no matter how tough it is,just always remember that.Hope that helps some,and here's a little vid of some traxxas models getting down and one of my 4x4 pede getting vids on the track against some different rigs.My pede is the red-n-black one.
    Jumping
    Traxxas trucks jumping - YouTube
    Racing
    Traxxas 4x4 Stampede vs Baja 5b,E-Maxx,Axial Exo Terra,HPI Bullet - YouTube

10. kuskye25
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

ofna buggy8-e $340 from nitrohouse, leaving room for batteries so you dont go over $500, you can get batteries and a charger from hobbypartz with the left over money, thunder ac680 and some gens ace batteries...

ofna lx2e $350 from towerhobbies, same with this you wont go over you $500 budget for the hole deal with batteries and charger from hobbypartz

pede vxl $420 from towerhobbies

if the op is willing to go $420, the rc8.2e is only $500, and parts support will be as good as any vehicle on the market... not that ofna is hard to get cause it isnt, but its usually not local... good thing about a 1/8th buggy though you wont need a part very often...

once again the pede is a good kit... but some of these new buggy prices are making consumers rethink there purchases... these buggies electronic systems will be far superior to a slashes or a pede's making the value just great... its not just that they are big and durable, but they have 1/8th scale brushless systems in them, very very powerful systems...

#10 kuskye25, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  11. hayex32
    Instant PM

hayex32 New Member

I think i might take your advice kuskye25 and get the Associated RC8.2e. What should i get for a battery and charger.

12. kuskye25
    Instant PM

ELiTE MEMBER

if you want to stick close to your budget use hobbypartz.com, get a gens ace or equivalent 4s lipo, 50c or better, and 5000mah or more, get the thunder ac680 charger or better...

if they are in stock spc lipos are also great... "specpointbatteries.com"

worst case get 2 2s packs and run them on top of each other, not sure how this fits in the 8.2e but you can look online for what guys are using in theres, most run a 4s pack

both hobbypartz and spc have been good to me so far, ive ordered a lot from them... they lack in stock status but when stuff is in its a great deal...

#12 kuskye25, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  13. Kansei
    Instant PM

Kansei New Member

I have had 2wd and 4x4 slashes , stampedes and rustlers all were good and parts are everywhere for them . The best basher I have is the HPI savage flux hp hands down bar none . I have the of a buggy8 e and haven't bashed it only use it on track so far .