1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to start?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by DMS70, Apr 5, 2017.

1. DMS70

DMS70 Member

Hi, I was wondering if I could get opinions. I've been reading as much as I can, on scale 4wd rigs. There's a lot! I first got hooked when I saw the "Beast" on RC ADVENTURES. Since then I've realized it started out as a SCX10 of some type. I want to get something to start trail running and some crawling. I'd like to end up with a K5 Blazer body, and a 80 Chevy short bed pick up like from PRO-LINE. I've been looking at the Vatera Ascender, and some of the Axial rigs. I want a good platform, that I can use, and modify to my liking. So I need good parts support from both oem, as well as aftermarket. In your opinion what would be a good rig to start with? I'm not totally new to RC, and have some experience. Just trying to get as much info I can, to make a good choice where to start. I know bodies and parts can be "made" to fit, but I would like a good selection of bolt on's available to me.
    Thanks for any info and opinions
    Dave

2. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hey Dave...
    Back when RC trailing began it was a very easy thing to say SCX10!!!
    Now with other companies joining the Scale and trail scene its not so cut and clean..

Budget has ALOT to play in this hobby and inevitably judges on where you should go to on your choice of rig..
    Also Scale looks vs Capability is another thing..
    Both the Vaterra Ascender and the Axial SCX10 II's are the way to go .. Either rig will fill the role you would like it to do.
    The Axial SCX10 just has a tiny bit more support in the after market area and would probably result in a more enjoyable experience knowing that more people have that truck and would most likely have a faster response for when things break.

The Vaterra Ascender comes as a K5 blazer and would cut the cost of having to buy a Chassis and then the Body..
    So Its totally up to you.. but the SCX10 just has that little bit of an edge in the aftermarket support area..

Antho11 and DMS70 like this.