1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by SirNapkin, Oct 10, 2016.

1. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

I'm relatively (very) new to the RC community and world in general, and I am looking for a Traxxas to upgrade to in the $200-$250 range. At the moment I am split between the Rustler and Slash, not sure what I think of the Slash's body roll, thoughts? Opinions on either, or one I should get instead? Thanks.

2. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

ether one would be good

3. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

I know, they both are awesome vehicles, which would you prefer? Do you own them/your opinions?

4. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

if i was going to choose between the two it would be the Rustler

5. Thwmathue

Thwmathue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I own quite a stack of traxxas cars. [​IMG] as you can see by the pic I like both the slash and the rustler, it just depends on what you want to do. The slash is more stable than the rustler otherwise there both great cars.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

Saltslinger, Monkeypiarat and walter like this.
  6. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

either will be great but the rustler will allow more wheel options .. 2.2's 2.8's or sc wheels 2.2/3.0 ... the slash will be SC wheels only .. with either model the best upgrade new is a RPM full front bumper .. it alone can save you lots in repairs as head on hits cause the most damage .. and the RPM plastic tends to soak up the shock and keep on keeping on. traxxas plastic is very good .. but rpm is better and they make it for almost every plastic part on the traxxas lineup .. and price wise is only a tad more then stock parts ..
    By the way Welcome to the forum ..

7. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

Wow, that's quite the collection of vehicles, and thank you for your advice and welcome. I'd like to upgrade the tires on the rustler, I've heard they're good, but I want to find something better. I probably won't replace the plastics, bumpers, and such until a later time, as all I do at the moment is bash, and I'm in an area with pretty boring terrain and nowhere to go. I'm thinking I will stick with the rustler, just wanted to see some ideas and opinions. Thanks.

8. Thwmathue

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    In that case the rustler is a great choice. I would upgrade the spindle carriers to either rpm or aluminum. The stock plastic ones like to break. Enjoy

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

9. SINISTER1172

SINISTER1172 Member

I have a few slashes,they are such great cars.Extremely durable fast and so customizable.I don't know much about the rustler but I can tell you that a slash is a good choice.

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  10. Thwmathue

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I can agree with that in fact I have built a slash from parts and its one of my favorite. Cars.

Little Rascle likes this.
  11. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

Ahhgg this is killing me. I love the look of the rustler, and I think it will be the most practical for the stuff I use it for, but the slash is very cool. I guess I'll have to think on it, but thanks for all of the opinions.

12. walter

ELiTE MEMBER

just get the rustler, then get a slash latter

lout, Monkeypiarat and Little Rascle like this.
  13. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

So what are some good tire upgrades for the rustler? Are stock ones good? What else may be good to upgrade or replace someday?

14. Thwmathue

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The stock tires are good till you do any amount of running on a hard surface. I'm currently running badlands on my rustler and trenchers on my slash.

15. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

Alright, so am I correct in assuming that any 1/10 badlands tires will work? What about any 1/10 ones? As long as tires attach with the same screw you can use pretty much anything right? What happens if I put smaller or larger wheels on?

16. Thwmathue

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Any 2.8" tires will fit the existing wheels but you can put 2.2" or short course wheels on as well.

17. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

Alright, thanks much.

18. Thwmathue

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    No problem

19. Malickie

Malickie Active Member

If your still looking, the Slash now a days rarely traction rolls. They switched out the HCG chassis and changed them all to LCG Chassis as far as I am aware so traction roll is pretty negligible unless you start messing around with spring rate and such.

Although be aware, if you go ahead and swap the stock ESC and Motor to an 1/8th scale setup like I did you are going to have to start upgrading parts to after market stuff because things start to break especially when your using a brushless e revo esc and motor on 6s in a Slash, lol.

20. SirNapkin

SirNapkin New Member

Ok, well that is good to know. I think I am settled on the Rustler, but someday in the future I may consider a slash. I wasn't too thrilled with the chassis roll, but if that is resolved I may be more persuaded to check it out. Are there any other cheaper alternatives to tires? Thanks.

sweet rc likes this.