1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Short Course Truck to get?

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by Fr8cture, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Fr8cture

Fr8cture New Member

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a SCT. I was wondering what is the best? Im looking for something with 4WD. I was looking at the slash but I was wondering what else is out there.

-Fr8cture

2. RCADDICT99

RCADDICT99 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

what were u planning to do with it? (race, bash, etc.)

3. jman2221

jman2221 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well there are also team associated trucks those are nice as well as hpi but just like traxxas they are expensive... But don't go cheap with exceed.. They suck

4. Fr8cture

Fr8cture New Member

I will probably only be bashing but would like to start racing at some point. I can get a slash platinum, TQi radio, RPM front and back bumper, mudflaps for $480. That's the plan right now.

5. JeremyM

JeremyM Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

As my signature states, I have a Team Associated SC10 4x4 Factory Team. I've gone through and upgraded a ton of stuff and successfully race and bash with it. My suggestion to you is buy used, but beware some trucks are beat up and might be more hassle than it worth. The only reason I suggest used is because I've spent well over a grand (USD) on my rig and I see deals for a similar setup for well under half to a third of the price.

6. Fr8cture

Fr8cture New Member

7. LX2

LX2 New Member

I'd go with the Team Associated ProLite 4x4 1/10 Electric RTR 4WD Short Course Truck w/XP 2.4GHz Radio System. Great truck from what I've heard. Comes with everything you need (No charger though). I haven't even seen one. Here's a review from Jang :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b65Y4ak7HIc

Hope This Helps :)

8. ouchman

ouchman Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I love my Slash 4X4, just saying.

9. kennethcz

kennethcz New Member

Damn, that Losi looks sweet, factoring the upgrades I'd have bitten the bullet on the shipping price. I have a Slash 2wd and an Jammin SCRT10, love the Jammin, came as a roller so I set it up with a MMP with the 1415 2400kv motor. As I bash (most race tracks allow 2S down here) I have it geared up for a 3S Lipo and it screams. If I get a new truck would be a SCTE10.

10. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The Team Associated Prolite 4X4 is the one Im planning to buy myself when I get my taxes its a little over $350 rtr brushless!

11. Fr8cture

Fr8cture New Member

So I think I'm pretty much set on the Slash 4x4 I came into some extra funds to get some hop ups. Here is what I'm hetting Proline Protrac kit, Powerstrokes, Proline switch tires, RPM Nerf Bars, and a Hot Racing rollcage. I might get a MMP if they come out with a waterproof one. I think they will since they did for the MM. If you think I should get something insteead of what I have my budget is around $680 and $450 is into the truck (platinum and TQi).

12. CrzyRcManiac

CrzyRcManiac New Member

I have a slash 4x4 and love it.. my advice would be to get rpm a arms because they are indestructible, not even my friends who run into stuff at a million miles an hour could break them.. Hope you have lots of fun with you slash 4x4
    ~the MANiAC

13. Fr8cture

Fr8cture New Member

im planning to but I will wait until I need to replace them

14. CrzyRcManiac

CrzyRcManiac New Member

Sounds great man! thats exactly what i did.
    ~the MANiAC

15. bigredpig650

bigredpig650 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

When I decided to get an RC again I went with the Slash 4x4 as I had always wanted a Traxxas back in the day. If you are just finding your way to begin with I don't see why any of them are really a bad choice but from my experience in the last 5-6 months with the Slash you will be doing just fine.
    From reading your thread I sense their is a bit of budgeting involved so how about just get the Slash and run it stock untill you find out what you want to do/improve and then spend your money on those items... Am not knocking any of the items you would like but your adding over $100 before you even know the truck and you may find that your chosen up grades are not needed straight away and that you could benifit from other option parts.
    Just a thought....
    Either way have a good time with it! :)

16. buggyman123

buggyman123 New Member

The Slash is a great truck. Have you looked at the Losi'sand Associated? If not look there

17. sebby

sebby Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hi fracture- I just bought a losi scte and love it. Many vids suggest the traxxas for bash. They suggest that the associated is possibly the best for race tuning and is light. Others say the losi fits all categories but is a bit on the heavy side. I went with the Losi mainly out of personal preference and would probably have been happy with any of the three.

My suggestion Would be to go local with a buy if possible. I would also try to get one with a couple upgrades.... mainly motor and speed control. Believe it or not you can find one with those upgrades for the same price as a new one if you are patient. Good luck on your purchase.
    Seb

#17 sebby, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  18. ArmySSG

ArmySSG New Member

+1 on being patient... Go to the traxxas market place and there are typically modded slashes or rollers going for under or a little over $200.. Drop another 200 or so into ur motor esc combo and bam $400 dollar slash that already probably has your RPMs all the way around, shocks, chassis etc. good luck.. And in my opinion only ...
    [​IMG]

19. Fr8cture

Fr8cture New Member

I decide to get one new so I purchased one off of ebay for $410

20. Eagle7812

Eagle7812 New Member

i think the losi scte is easier to start with for racing