1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which truck is right for you? (What Trail Truck/Scale Truck should I get thread).

Discussion in 'Newbe Help' started by fordguy8790, Aug 30, 2012.

1. fordguy8790

fordguy8790 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Lately, there have been a flood of "which truck should I get?" threads. All of the options have their advantages and disadvantages, so no one answer will be right for everybody.

The question we always have to ask is "What are your requirements?"

I want a good trail truck for under $100.
    So do I, friend. So do I. You aren't going to find anything worthwhile. Keep saving your money.

I want something I can drive on trails and bash.
    Look at an Axial Wraith (kit or RTR).
    [​IMG]

AX10 Ridgecrest (RTR only).
    [​IMG]

or, as of 2013, a Vaterra Twin Hammers (RTR only)
    [​IMG]

The Wraith and Ridgecrest share the same axles and 2.2 size tires. Both RTR trucks come with Axial's 20T motor, which provides considerable wheel speed over, say, an SCX10. This makes jumps, bashing, etc. a little easier out of the box. Their electronics layout isn't optimal for weight distribution out of the box, but components can be moved around easily enough and will help to build a very capable rig. The Wraith is a tube buggy, so the frame and the body are one unit. The Ridgecrest is more like a competition crawler (The frame does not run the length of the truck and is hidden by a lexan body).

The Vaterra is a new design from Horizon Hobbies, featuring a solid axle rear and independent front suspension. It comes with a Spektrum radio and a lipo compatible ESC, as well as a two-speed transmission. The body and cage are one unit, much like the Wraith. The Twin Hammers includes everything needed to run, unlike the other RTR's listed, which require a battery to be purchased separately.

Wraith RTR, courtesy of Axial's site:
    [video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0gEf7Z9TSE[/video]

Ridgecrest RTR
    [video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=An30LLtd3AY[/video]

Twin Hammers RTR
    [video=youtube;ooCTOKOml4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ooCTOKOml4k[/video]

I want a scale looking trail truck.
    Axial SCX10, or RC4WD Trail Finder 2. The SCX10 link is to Crankbait's writeup, so I won't go into redundant detail here. The TF2 is sold as a kit and is a bit pricey, especially since it does not come with electronics. the SCX10 wins in parts support and trailing capability/durability, but the TF2 is much more realistic with its leaf spring suspension, Toyota plastic hardbody, transmission/transfer case, and yota axles. The SCX10 will come with 1.9 tires, which will give it a performance advantage over the TF2's more scale 1.55 tire size. Which is better is up to you. For comparison, here are a couple of videos of the trucks in action.

SCX10 Honcho, courtesy of Axial's site:
    [video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNxjF0PFTa0[/video]

Medic's (highly customized) Trail Finder 2:
    [video=youtube;oYEX1R7fvhE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYEX1R7fvhE[/video]

I'm just starting out and am not sure if I have the skills to build a kit.
    An RTR is a great starting point, as it comes pre-assembled, but still includes the complete instruction book should you need to repair or want to customize something (Trust me, you will). That said, a kit is an awesome way to learn exactly how your rig is put together and how everything works. The better understanding you have of its inner workings, the easier it is to work on it later. There are also plenty of folks here that are more than happy to help should you get stuck in your build process.

Honorable mention
    Tamiya High Lift (Photo by Krankillen)
    [​IMG]
    The Tamiya High Lift is a popular platform amongst those looking for ultimate realism. It is sold as a kit only and has several body choices (Hilux, F-350, Tundra). Were it not for a higher cost than its competitors, I would have absolutely placed the High Lift with the SCX10 and TF2.

Tamiya CC-01 (Photo by InLowRange)
    [​IMG]
    The Tamiya CC-01 can be found with several different bodies (Bronco, Unimog, Pajero, Wrangler) and are sold as both kit and RTR. They are generally not as capable as any other truck mentioned here... plastic tubs rather than frames and independent front suspension rather than a solid axle limits customization of the drivetrain. They have little ground clearance and are best suited to looking scale, rather than any serious trailing.

Tamiya CR-01 (Photo by HZ73)
    [​IMG]
    The Tamiya CR-01 can also be had with several body options (Bronco, Land Cruiser, Wrangler, Unimog) and is sold as a kit or RTR. They come with 2.2 tires and a C-channel frame. They are not nearly as scale as an SCX10 or a TF2, nor is their parts support as good.

RC4WD Trail Finder (original)
    [​IMG]
    This is discontinued and no longer available through RC4WD.

RC4WD Trail Stomper
    [​IMG]
    This truck is available through RC4WD's website as an RTR only. The stock leaf spring suspension is STIFF. Most people complain that it barely articulates at all and they end up having to remove some springs in order to get some flex. The plastic Punisher shafts will most likely not hold up to an upgrade in power, and the included Outcry ESC does not have a lipo cutoff. For $300, it is a step into the scale truck world, but will definitely need some work to be a capable trail truck.

Hopefully this clears up some questions people have about which trail truck best suits your needs. If I forgot anything, post it up!

#1 fordguy8790, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    FordFan01 and stealth like this.
  2. Andthocom

Andthocom Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Nice post, this should be made sticky. ;)

3. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

Sticky, done!

Good post, Bro! Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I am sure this will be very helpful to all!

4. fordguy8790

fordguy8790 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks guys!

Edited sticky: Non-working pictures were replaced by RCSparks members' pictures.

Edit 2: Included Tamiya High Lift... How did I forget that?

Edit 3: Added RC4WD Trail Stomper and Vaterra Twin Hammers.

#4 fordguy8790, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  5. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

great work man!!! now we can point the new guys/gals here!!!! wicked work!!!!

6. SamsRC4U

SamsRC4U Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Great Job :graffiti:

7. mavado123

mavado123 New Member

nice! thread

8. EthanMeans

EthanMeans New Member

i was curious about anyones opinion on a traxxas summit vs axial wraith

RCmechanic1969 likes this.
  9. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    EthanMeans.. Your dealing with Two very different sorts of Trucks..
    The Axial is classed as a Scale/Trail rig whilst the Summits much smaller body and wider wheel stance lands it more in the MT category.

If your going to do some insane bashing, then the Summit would be more of where you would want to be.
    If your looking at insane trailing then the Wraith is more where its at.. A Wraith can fit down alot tighter trails then the same scale Summit..

10. EthanMeans

EthanMeans New Member

thanks i am a new happy owner of the wraith :)

11. djblaise2012

djblaise2012 New Member

What would be better. rc4wd trail stomper or the scx10

I am new to scaling, and trailing. I would like to get a rig that can go on every trail. I am interested in the RC4WD Trail Stomper, but im not sure how good it will be on a trail becasue from the videos i seen having the leaf springs dont give you very good body twist. so which should i go with?

12. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The RC4WD Trailstomper does have rigid suspension.. Its a Scale offroader so it reflects the natural ability of a 4x4, Leaf springs by their nature are not really flexible they are more for load carrying then sheer articulation.
    If your looking for a tad more flexibility in the suspension then the SCX10 is the next step up.
    Or run the RC Trailstomper with different suspension settings..

Unfortunately no member has been able get a Trail Stomper to review it as yet.
    Time and money will tell if this is fixed soon..

13. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Just saw this thread.
    Awesome write up!:haveaniceday:

14. Swampnut14

Swampnut14 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

After reading this i believe a widened scx10 will be the best choice for what i want

15. Doodie

Doodie New Member

Very helpful thread.

16. MutinousRC

MutinousRC New Member

Thanks, this helps ALOT :):haveaniceday:

17. TRIALNERROR

TRIALNERROR Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

That was one thought out and detailed thread. Nicly done brother,

BURN EM IF YOU GOT EM.

18. prophet

prophet Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nice write up mate. Good idea's and good help. :)

19. TheDC

TheDC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks for the write-up,great food for thought as I get back into the hobby :D

20. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Another Budget Truck to get you out onto the Trails is the Wheely King Crawler
    [​IMG]
    Whilst the Reviews are mixed.. there is no doubt.. this truck is definately one to consider as an Entry Level Trail Rig..
    You may need to spend a few $$ to really make it a capable rig but with a little water proofing and some minor mods.. She will see you hitting the Sand, Rocks, Mud and Forrests..

Various Websites still have these Trucks in stock from anywhere between $250 and $300.
    This Vehicle is capable but is not in the same class as the SCX10..

#20 Magnat007, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    fordguy8790 likes this.