1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which truck is right for you? (What Trail Truck/Scale Truck should I get thread).

Discussion in 'Newbe Help' started by fordguy8790, Aug 30, 2012.

1. RCRallyGuy

RCRallyGuy New Member

What about the vaterra ascender? I am caught between that and the axial scx10 deadbolt! I have watched videos of both and seen the differences most say they are both great but I was hoping for some more feedback! Thanks all! Also I have been in rc for a bit ,since I was a kid, got two drifters and looking into scaling since nobody really drifts where I live.

2. skibum555

skibum555 Member

Media:
  3. RCRallyGuy

RCRallyGuy New Member

That's what I was thinking but I saw some videos comparing the two and the vaterra beat it out on most occasions. But the axial is sold at my lhs along with most hop ups. So I'll probably just go with that.

4. dirtbikeoffroad

dirtbikeoffroad New Member

Hi everyone, I am slightly new to the hobby and I would like to know what would be the best starter scale truck to get. I recently traded for a Traxxas Stampede 2wd and a ECX Torment 4x4, but would like to get into crawling, trailing. I am very satisfied with the Stampede (even though it is heavily used), and I want to get something just as simple to work on and just as durable. I have no trouble working on RC cars, I just don't want to spend to much time fixing them. If anyone could help me find something that requires low maintenance... I thank you in advance... I'm interested in the Axial Wraith, or scx10, which one is simpler, or easier to work on? thanks

5. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Surprisingly they are pretty much equivilent as far as complexity to work on, the cage may seem to make things slightly more fiddley on the wraith, but in actuality it doesn't.

The right answer is to go with the one you like.

6. dirtbikeoffroad

Okay, thanks. I just have never had any experience with Axial products, and I'm scared to invest 300+ into something that will be sitting on my workbench a lot. I used to have a Nitro savage 25, and that scared me away from all RC brands. I want to get an scx10 dingo kit because I love building things, but It stinks to loose a servo horn screw(or something that simple) and not be able to drive the truck for a week. What is routine maintenance like? Any major breakages? for 300+ I will be taking good care of it if i buy one, no mud, water, or tough rocks, but anything to look out for? I think the kits come with many spare parts as well?

7. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The dingo kit is a good kit to start with. It's probably been the most reliable of all of the trucks we have. The kit came with a bunch of good stuff and if you mod the stock drive shafts whilst you assemble them they will last you a long time.

Don't over motor it and it will be all good. The stock axial 27 turn is a good starting point if you staying with the 1.9 tyres.

8. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Oh forgot to add that spares are so easy to get hold of either at your LHS or online

9. dirtbikeoffroad

OK, thanks. Hopefully my other trucks sell quickly and I can buy a dingo... Any spare parts I should get while I'm ordering it? Driveshafts, and spur gear? thanks what I've heard

10. dirtbikeoffroad

"THATS what I've heard breaks"

11. LoveStompers

LoveStompers Member

I normally avoid resurrecting dead threads, but seeing as it's Easter, that this is a sticky, and that it needs at least one update, I'm going to bend my policy.

So here's my question/suggestion: Now that the Vaterra Ascender has been out a while, has significant aftermarket parts support, comes upgraded out of the box, and has proven itself a tough contender, how about adding it to the list of recommendations?

12. speed is key

speed is key New Member

i am wanting to get a trail finder 2 and this will be my first build and i was wondering what accessories i should get

13. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Oh how much money do you have ???
    A Wireless Winch I consider essential for any trail rig !
    I love mine.. After that you can look into different tyres, Rims, Light bars...
    The list is endless

14. speed is key

speed is key New Member

i was thinking that a winch would be one of the first upgrades i did

15. speed is key

speed is key New Member

what tir
    what tires should i get, i am from Denmark WA and it rains most of the time we have basically we have two types of terrain beach and bush

16. scalemadness

scalemadness Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

With the tf2 i recomend you stay with the 1.55 tires and wheels I run rock stompers but i think in the wet i would consider staying with the stock mud thrashers or look at the 1.55 pitbull growlers which is about as big as you can go with out lifting and cutting as for other upgrades driveshafts are a must stock are junk and take a look at Tamiya bruiser shackles Im using them on mine and flex increases dramatically with the leafs. Also pick up the gelande 2 shock hoops and run 100mm shocks front and rear your suspension will thank you check out my tf2 build and feel free to ask questions
    http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/threads/second-time-around-tf2.38972/

17. mudholestomper

mudholestomper Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Excellent post and very helpful for us newbie scalers - thank you!

Sent from my latest, greatest, better-than-what-you've-got, Cupertino-based, handheld Apple supercomputer

18. mudholestomper

mudholestomper Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I had a losi Nightcrawler that I've converted into a trail vehicle - it still needs the "scaler" details, but I put a 2500kv (13.5t) sensored brushless Hobbywing setup in it, the 21:1 HD gears in the axles, and a hot racing metal gear set in it - I also installed much larger hot bodies rover ex white dot tires and some aluminum wheels - lastly, it has a castle creations bec and a Hobbyking HV titanium gear, digital servo - believe it or not, it flat hauls butt and crawls exceptionally well - I also installed Boom Racing 20mm wheel spacers to give it a wide stance

I run an 18t pinion and it runs at full speed at a moderate jogging speed but also will creep at a snails pace when needed

I'm planning on mounting some type of jeep or pickup body on it when funds and time are available

Sent from my latest, greatest, better-than-what-you've-got, Cupertino-based, handheld Apple supercomputer

19. RCmechanic1969

RCmechanic1969 New Member

Do you have any advice on axial wraith vs Vaterra ascender?

20. Mark Liersch

Mark Liersch Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well, the Axial Wraith is billed as a "rock racer". Amazing machine. I have one. The Vaterra Ascender is pretty much a trail truck. I have one of them also. Both are very capable machines. The Wraith has endless possibilities for mods and upgrades, it's been around since 2011 (I believe) and has HUGE aftermarket support. The Ascender (mine is the short wheelbase Bronco) is a very capable machine also. It has the best steering lock to lock of all the trail rigs out there, with the SCX10II coming close. I have had the Wraith for close to 6 years, and it is now converted to run on 1.9 running gear. It's the rig I run the most. But in the end, it'll be up to you, pic a truck that will do what you want, make it yours. Check my albums for pics of both trucks. See what you think...

RCmechanic1969 likes this.