1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why am I going through servos

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Cameron Haga, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Cameron Haga

Cameron Haga Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why I'm breaking gears on servos . In my Wraith it seams like I break a servo every time I go climbing . Some were driving errors like running into the wooden fence . But the last few stripped out when all I did was climb hills . Is there some kind of servo saver for the Wraith?

2. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    What servo are you running? Most servos have replaceable gears, if you want durable, get a cheap mg996r, I have one on my deadbolt, it was $9 and although its a little sloppy... The stock steering rack was flexible plastic, that acted as the servo saver, traxxas 25t spline servo savers will work, I just kept the stock flexible steering linkage on my deadbolt ax10. If you want a servo saver that will fit multiple servos, this will likely do the job: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxas...302942?hash=item43cb297e1e:g:X-wAAOSwewJToI1P

plastic gear servos are not good for crawling

3. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I have went through two tactic servos , two savox wp 0231 , and a couple cheap hexfly ones off a redcat vortex. It all started when I upgraded all my links . Ill look in to the one you recommended . I might put the sloppy plastic stock steering linkage back on and use it as a servo saver . Thanks for the advice

4. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    It could be your driving style ?
    When your in the rocks. you need to be a little more careful and crawl... not race..
    Not sure but it sounds like something is definately not going right somewhere...
    Thats alot of servo's to have roasted..

5. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    A lot of it was my driving . Too fast . Ripping around in the gravel and hitting a fence . But with the last couple I was trying to be careful because I'm tired of buying servos . Is there a indestructible one that you know of ? Lol . Or at least really sturdy . I think the last tactic stripped when I tipped over backwards climbing a dirt hill there wasn't any rocks around

6. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Your answer might not be one of buying industructible ones.. but ones of easy of buying and Bulk buying them ... The MG-996R as Spence123 mentioned would be what I would be looking at... You can often get them for under $15... and just buy in bulk..
    Might last you a few runs.. might last you a single run... but if you bought in bulk.. it wouldn't matter ! You can get 3 MG996rs normally for the price of one Hitec..

7. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The tactic tsx 45 that came in my deadbolt lasted me less than 6 months, the gear you may be stripping is the 1st gear, and those are either all plastic or part metal, and part plastic... The 1st gear in the tactic tsx45 is all plastic, the tower pro is part metal where it counts.
    All servos metal gear or plastic, have 1 all plastic or part plastic 1st gear, so durability is limited sometimes. A servo saver will help the servo be able to take hits, and not break all the time, medic if I am correct had the same issue with a hi-tec wp servo on his black widow project

I even once drove my deadbolt off a rockface once :Bouaaaaah:
    mind you I even did some crazy crawling, servo still works today, but my rig is slower, and I still regardless of how much I hate the stock steering linkage and all its slop, I just leave it on there, boy am I tempted to get a topcad orange steering set lol.

All said with the tower pro $9 shipped servo, it still works:) after lots of punishment and abuse, Magnat said he had a tower pro mg996r for like 4 years if I remember.

8. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I did take Spence123 advice and ordered four of them off Amazon . We will see how long they last . Thanks guys . What servo would you recommend for a traxxas slash 1/16 ?

9. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  10. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The topcad linkage dose look good . That's what I have on mine . But I didn't start breaking servos until I installed it . Those mg996r that I found were cheap. $6 a piece . Thanks for your help

11. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Give them a go.. See how they go for you...
    $6 is not alot to waste if they do fail.. but I have a feeling they will last you a few runs at least.

My MG996R is still working today.. its over 5 years old.. its now living in Project SUV and has been drowned, Rock Crawled, Mud worked, Drifted heck I cannot think of a thing I have not done to it..

DivineChaos likes this.
  12. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thank you for your help . And congrats on your recent promotion. You guys do a great job with this site . The guys on here have helped me really get into this hobby . It's amazing for a newbie like me to be able to pick the brains of you more experienced RC enthusiasts . Thanks again .

Magnat007 likes this.
  13. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The plastic link of the wraith does a lot to save the servo from hits on those big 2.2s on on side and the plastic gears just don't last as has been said before, what I have found purely by running out of options is that the axial servo saver that comes with the dingo kit is a very good option and I haven't had any issues with it.

14. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

your savox 0230 servo came with rubber grommets that snap into the mounting holes on the servo and the mounting screws pass through the grommets the grommets will help asorb impact shock and offer some give in a binding situation ...if you still have them you can use them on other servos

DivineChaos likes this.
  15. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I do still have the rubber grommets and have been using them since I got the savox . The savox was the first one I upgraded to from stock and I broke the gears out of it in about 3 minutes (100'/, ) driving error . I think I'm going to put the stock steering link back on . All the aluminum makes for very little forgiveness . I also found what I think is a two piece servo saver in my extra parts bag on one of the parts trees . It's about as big around as a quarter . Thanks for all the great advice .

lout and Y2daT like this.
  16. LooseNut

LooseNut Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Stock C-hubs go quickly on those as well. At least my son's wraith did. Im a trailer guy. He's nuts!

DivineChaos likes this.
  17. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I would also make sure all your steering components move freely, and check your EPA's if the Servo is consistently trying to turn the wheels further than they can physically move then this can cause your servos to fail.

Dean

18. DivineChaos

DivineChaos Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I've got 10 packs through my 0231mg and finally broke a gear. Mind you most was in 10f or lower. Jumping racing over rough roads, numerous rollovers. Maybe I'm lucky? Steel steering linkage. (custom built with threaded rod) and I was running 3s on a 3500kv. I'd reccomend metalgear. The stock tactic still has a plastic gear. You stripping gears or puffing the servo itself?

19. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

I hope you tried to waterproof it. Lol. We all see how good you are at it. Bwahahahaha.

20. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

Know what you mean. I trail too. But I also jump them.