1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I don't fly : Worst Nightmare.

Discussion in 'Pilots Lounge' started by Magnat007, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    [​IMG]

Well I thought I would give flying a go... Now I don't have anywhere close to fly so I didn't want to spend big.. So I hit ebay up for a RC plane... I was not too concerned about quality.. As long as it flies.

Well I bought an NQD Superfortress. It had 4 engines and was Vector steered.. (Meaning 2 motors throttled back to steer it had no rudder)

Off to the local foot ball field I go.. Now this is a LARGE area.. I mean it is BIG.
    There are no houses for approx 1 city sized Block.
    I throttled the engines up and hand launched... and it flew... Oh boy did it fly.. Before I could kill the throttle... a thermal had caught it and sent it up.. way up... I killed the throttle and waited for it to drop altitude...as this thing has no rudder .. there was no way to control the pitch !

Well the Thermal eventually stopped so I waited and yes... it slowly decended... only one problem.... It was now 2 blocks away... When I hit the steering to get it to turn back to me... it did a 360... the wing tore off and it fell. Into the Back yard of a Nasty doberman who then proceeded to chew the plane to shredded foam.. He didnt eat it... just destroyed it.. So some unlucky person has an RC plane in their back yard and will never know where it came from...

2. RobscoRC

RobscoRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

So sad :( Flying really is a great thing to experience so Im sorry it happened like this. I can tell you first hand there is no plane like a good plane, and theres really something to be said for having someone there to guide you for your first flight. Its imperative that good lessons be taught by someone with experience. If you ever have the urge to try it again I'll help in any way I can.

3. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I may try in the new year... there seems to be some good trainers/slow flyers I might have a go at... If not... Indoor Helicopters are looking like my next thing to try...

4. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

oh man! i love indoor choppers!!! K-Mart $25, 3 channel, inferred(yeah, sucks but its indoor) sic fun!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!! and man do mine take a beating!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!! i tried a 4 channel, wasnt as much fun for me!

5. rcguy

rcguy New Member

The new Blade heli looks nice, RTF for $50, so small that it could fly off your coffee table

6. Baal

Baal Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I also have a few super mico 3channel chopers like 12cm long haha those things are bad ass and weigh so little its near impossable to damage anything with them.

#6 Baal, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  7. RobscoRC

ELiTE MEMBER

The best trainer to look at is from Hobby Zone and it's called the "Supercub". You can get it at any hobby shop for around $250. Reliable, durable, flys like a dream, and parts are plentiful. Big thing to watch is to get the 2.4 ghz model, not the FM model. Digital is 100% more trustworthy. FM has interference problems in high population zones. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM NITROPLANES OR BANANA HOBBY! Please save yourself the trouble..

If you look into micro helis get the Blade MCX2. It's four channel with counter rotating blades. DO NOT BUY A CHEAPO 3 CHANNEL HELI! Reason being is the control scheme is completely wrong, so when you go to upgrade you'll have to re-learn everything anyway. 4 channel micros fly the way helis are ment to fly, not a cheap imitation. You should have 100% control, not 10%.. The blade 3 channel heli is as close to proper as you can get for a good price but it's still lacking. Spend the extra 50 on the real thing. You won't regret it

8. verticalsprk

verticalsprk Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ok, I have heard a lot of stories with people starting out with planes bought off line and this has got to be the best I have heard. Usually then end up destroying the plane attempting trying to get it off the ground.

But I wouldnt give up, flying has to be some of the best times I have had in RC.

Also I have worked in hobbies for the last 6 years and I can tell you to stay away from any of the cheap (walmart/k-mart/mall) planes or helis. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask or PM me. I can answer most if not all questions about getting started into the flying field.

Adam

#8 verticalsprk, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  9. RobscoRC

ELiTE MEMBER

Me too. RC pilot for 14 years. name it, iv flown it.

10. Chunder

Chunder Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

Got a prime example of what happens to a cheap plane...jump to 0:50 for the aftermath.

[video=youtube;0qiT2SvmGUI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qiT2SvmGUI[/video]

I've had a lot of planes go down, and most are repairable, but the cheap ones are just GONE when they hit...

#10 Chunder, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  11. Beastmanh

Beastmanh <b>1!NUX_RUl3$</b>
    ELiTE MEMBER

haha, nice "pile of nose" there Chunder!

"I've had a lot of planes go down, and most are repairable, but the cheap ones are just GONE when they hit..."

Ironically, once you keep advancing, so are the REALLY good planes. Like the new 30cc MX2 I just got that comes in under 10 lbs.. It is built SO light, for 3D flying, that if you hit the ground, its DONE! lol