1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter turning tips for nitro

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Steele1187, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Steele1187

Steele1187 Member

So i have a 2 part ? I Didn't find in in the forums .so I was "bashing"my rustler in a construction site i hit a big jump with a suprise "kicker" that flipped me over and splatter me top down.the car stopped and would not restart.that being said I took it home cleans it up changed the nitro and it still didn't start can a heavy hit cause the glow plug to go bad ? Second? As it gets Canada cold up here is there a "rule of thumb "for winter tuning or is it all just by my ear? Ps I cant spell so no need for the grammer police ;)

2. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    a good hit can definitely cause a glow plug to go. there is a tiny little wire inside it that is under all the stress inside the motor. a good whack can definitely break it.
    I suck at tuning so bad i gave up on nitro long ago. you need to make sure it stays hot. you can wrap the motor with a sock it helps. if you run it cold it will not last you very long.

Antho11 likes this.
  3. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    What I like doling when running in winter is changing my glow plug to a hotter temperature. This is the rule of thumb I go by:

Winter/Cold

20% nitro - medium to hot glow plug
    25% nitro - medium

Also your going to have to tune your carb so it's richer because the air is denser when cold. The best way to make sure you have a good tune and running in the right temperatures is to use a temp gun and listen to your engine (by ear).

Steele1187 likes this.
  4. Steele1187

Steele1187 Member

So i went to my local hobby shop and it turns out that the Big crash had shifted the motor over and caused it to bind. All the more reason to support your local hobby shop!

Antho11 likes this.