1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wraith crawler setup question??

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by OKCrawler, Feb 11, 2015.

1. OKCrawler

OKCrawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Ok so Ive ben searching all over this forum and havent found the answers my questions.
    So could everybody that knows this stuff FAR better than I do could/would you help me out to answering these questions please?

Motors:
    What motor is best for crawling?

ESC:
    What would work best with said motor?

Spur and Pinion:
    Which combination would work best for crawling?

Transmission Gears:
    If there are such gear sets, What would be best for crawling?

Axle Gears:
    Which setup would be best for crawling?

If there is something else Ive forgotten or didnt that of please help me with that too!!
    I know the Wraith is supposed to be a " Rock Racer" but I would like to build it up into a ROCK CRAWLER!!
    Thanks for any and all input on answering these questions!!!!

2. OKCrawler

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  3. 68camaro

68camaro Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Here ya go: 55 turn for crawling, stock esc, I believe I run a 14 tooth pinion with stock spur, no real gear sets,do a under drive in the rear if doing serious crawling. Hope it helps ,

Nick

4. OKCrawler

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Anybody have any other thoughts or advice?

5. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    are you starting with a kit(supply your own electronics and receiver and sometimes more) or are you buying an RTR? if you use the stock ripsaws, they don't have the best traction so I would recommend going to a set of pro line chisel g8 compound(very sticky and soft) 2.2" tires (this is going to be the upgrade for my ax10 deadbolt) they have been said to be stickier than the popular HB rover 2.2" tires. , and the stock transmission has plastic gears, so once you strip them out, I would recommend going metal. The steering servo and the steering links may need to be upgraded if they break(or if you are just too sick of the flexibility) also eventually the axle links may eventually need to be replaced. Also as 68camaro stated above, a 55T motor will give you better torque. On ebay you can find the seal can 55t axial motor for like $12-14 shipped. Also along with the tires, you may want to add wheel weight (I added 6oz of flat no slip fishing weights(1oz a piece) to the front wheels on the inside, and did some suspension tuning to lower the center of gravity. Does this help?

#5 Spence123, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  6. OKCrawler

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Im going to start off with an RTR just so I can get back into the hobby. I want to get the driveline as bomb proof as possible for crawling and work on upgrading everything else as I go.
    Thanks for your input Spence123!!

7. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    But the rtr wraith is pretty good, those are future mods, the first thing you may have to replace is the servo. From what I have heard the stock servo on the wraith doesn't last. Maybe the current versions have a slightly better servo. I would recommend (if the stock servo burns out) going with a savox servo like this: Still $40, but still good, you won't likely have to replace this servo again: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savox-SW-02...238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b5b78ca6
    Also, the stock wildboar plastic driveshafts are pretty strong, the outputs are metal, and you can replace the plastic part in the middle. They haven't let me down yet so far. for a battery you will likely need a 2s lipo, and do you have a charger? the stock wraith comes with a not so good molex tamiya plug, so I would suggest making an adapter instead of cutting off the plug and voiding your esc warrenty(thats what I did). On ebay you can find a female molex to pretty much any connector of your choice: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Sty...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b08cb6c20 To start out, I used a traxxas 2s 3300mah 7.4v lipo, and bought an adapter on ebay (female molex to traxxas male) and bought 1 traxxas 2935 lipo charger to get myself started. Hope you have fun with the wraith, I like my deadbolt ax10 too. I like my ax10 deadbolt as it comes with a lexan shell body vs the wraith with a integrated tube frame chassis as the body, which is pretty heavy and has a higher center of gravity. The deadbolt ax10 looks like a bronco kind of. I like it so far. But if you like the wraith, I don't want to steer you away from it. sorry to overload you, hope you enjoy this hobby!

8. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

Also, depending on how competitive you plan on being, rear steer , and dig Maybe something you wanna look into.

9. OKCrawler

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks Guys!!! Some really good info!!!

Ive heard that about the servo and about the drivelines, so possibly when I get the wraith I will upgrade the servo and drivelines b4 I even run it.
    Planned on going straight Lipo from the start!
    I will be getting a Hitec X4-80 4-PORT DC Multicharger. I looked at several chargers and this one seems to be good and will do what I need.

Dont really plan on doing any comps but will more tban likely do the dig setup. Maybe the rear steer but not sure yet!
    Who's lowering kits are good or could I just fab up my own?

10. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

hmmm, I know a lot of people use these for lowering : http://www.ebay.com/itm/AXIAL-WRAIT...953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a0891761. as for a lipo , I swear by venom. I run a 2s 5000 mah and it lasts forever, id also look into the battery re location mod, basically moves the battery to the front. Also a really good choice in charger! I don't think theyre servo are that bad stock, but with wheel weights , I whould upgrade. specifically to a hitec metal gear.

11. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Sorry dude, but venom is overpriced and people complain about quality maybe not you, but SPC racing is where its at. A 5000mah 2s 7.4v true 50c lipo is about $42 shipped. SPC is the best quality for your dollar. I got a turnigy acucell 6 charger from hobbyking, and it can do lots of thing for aroumd $40. I have myself done the mod of moving the esc to the back and the batt up front. It will require you to use a servo extension lead. With 6oz of weight in each front wheel and better tires, this thing will likely crawl most things with greatly tuned suspension. That savox servo that is $40 is a great servo too, also waterproof

12. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

maybe ive just had good luck then? never had an issue with them, had a wire come out but they have life time warranties. Ill gladly pay 10 more bucks for a warranty. Never heard of spc, ill check it out! I guess us veterans in the hobby do learn new things lol.

13. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  14. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

your good, I agree max amps is just stupid expensive

15. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I like traxxas packs and SPC(haven't tired it yet) but I don't want to change anybody's fav on battery selection. Happy rcing when the weather gets nicer and all the snow melts!

16. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

more im thinking about it , I think my one friend runs spc.Not sure, thx, got about 1 foot of snow atm lol

17. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    yup same here, thats going to take the longest time to melt hurray. Rock crawling you just can't do in the snow. Sadly in my area of CT, I can't seem to find anybody my age that likes the rc hobby, I am only 16. Nice talking to you

18. OKCrawler

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  19. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah, same issue none of my friends are into crawling, I have the local club but it kinds awkward when you are so young. Atleast some of my friends are into track racing. Snow is crunchy ATM, so crawling is kinda possible, even with 1.9's which is nice. Nice talking to ya. That servo seems right, torque dosent seem right tho. Thought it was suppost to be in the 300's.

20. 68camaro

ELiTE MEMBER

also rpp will be your friend with rock crawling parts