1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wraith motor upgrade

Discussion in 'Transmission, Driveline, Shocks' started by Stutty, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Stutty

Stutty New Member

Hello I would like to know how to get a 1/8 scale motor castle 2200kv to match up to my 1/10 scale transmission I already raised the tranny for motor clearance but can't get slipper gear and motor pinion gear to match up what gears do I need that will work

2. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

for a 1/8 scale motor i would bet that it has the larger shaft off the motor, so you will likely have to look at 32 pitch pinions and spur gears. It may take some calculating to get the right combinations... and finding spur that will fit the Wraith tranny. I would look at Robinson Racing products as a start. The output of the 1/8 scale motor is more than likely a 5mm shaft vs the standard 1/8" shaft on most 1/10 scale motors.. and the 32 pitch will hold up better for the bigger motors. Thats the same pitch used in most monster trucks like the Savage, Summit and Emaxx.

3. Stutty

Stutty New Member

Yes it's 5mm and agree on the pitch just can't find what I need the slipper gear isn't big enough it's like a quarter inch away

4. Stutty

Stutty New Member

A modified slipper gear

5. Goblintinker

Goblintinker Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

you can get pinions with 5mm holes for the 48p gears also you might wanna look at .8mm thats what I use on most of the 1/8 I use

6. dna4engr

dna4engr Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The motor case is usually a bigger diameter on 1/8 motors, hence why you raised the trans. The bigger problem is the top of the trans case isn't designed to accept the bigger motor and mesh properly. You will need to enlarge the motor mounting slots to get the motor to move into a position that will allow gear mesh. With that kv, I would recommend a 56t 32p spur and between 11-14t pinion. You really need a few to be able to test out your modification and see if you can get proper mesh.
    I hope you've upgraded the rest of the trans and driveline as it will take some abuse from that motor.

Dna

7. prophet

prophet Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I've actually just done this in my wrexo build (same motor). I found the major problem in getting gear mesh was the spacer for the motor plate closest to the motor itself. Replace that spacer with a bit of alum tube or something similar that is narrower. With that spacer a smaller diamiter the motor will fit up into the trans a lot better. Allowing for better mesh.

As for the gears, i used a robison racing 32 pitch 56 tooth spur, and an 11 tooth 32 pitch 5mm for the pinion. I did not need to mod the motor plate at all to get this to work.

Even with raising this motor up you will still probably have to cut a little away from the rear right upper link mount.

8. Stutty

Stutty New Member

Yep 45t pinion 80t 48p slipper clutch all robinson racing runs great