1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wraith upgrade motor

Discussion in 'Rock Crawler Chat' started by mickyd213, May 14, 2013.

1. mickyd213

mickyd213 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting an Axial Wraith and was wondering if it is worthwhile upgrading it with a brushless motor combo? I was looking at a 1200kv motor from Tekin. NEW Tekin ROC412 BL Crawler Motor 4Y 1200KV TT2603 | eBay

Or would I be better off running a Tekin 45 or 55T brushed motor instead?

2. Dtrex77

Dtrex77 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think it all depends on if u want to crawl or bash it. I put a novak brushless system in my scx10. but my truck is also heavy and 1:8 scale. the brushed I had wasnt bad. but just not enough torque for the wheel speed I wanted. I like the brushless in mine now, I can crawl and has crazy burst when I need it

3. dna4engr

dna4engr Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Roc412 is an excellent choice but consider one with a higher kv rating (2300 or 3100kv). If all you want to do is drive slow the 1200 will work, but you will regret it if you want to have a little wheelspeed. You will either have to upgrade your tranny, driveshafts, axles from the start or replace parts when they start breaking with that power. The brushed would definitely be cheaper, but again a 45 or 55t motor will make that thing a snail. Not really what a rock racer is meant for. What is your budget? That is probably the biggest item to consider.

Dna

4. Slimjr331

Slimjr331 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have the Castle Creations Sv2 4600kv brushless system for my Wraith. I also picked up an Axial 27t brushed motor for like $12 and use the XL-5 esc when I want to crawl. The Wraith with the Sv2 4600kv is a beast and pretty quick. I am using 2s and 3s lipos.