1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wraith vs spawn rtr

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Hunter_ev, May 20, 2015.

1. Hunter_ev

Hunter_ev New Member

should I get the wraith spawn or regular wraith. Performance wise. Must be rtr. This is my first rc. Need good advice

2. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I believe it's the exact same thing besides the body, so performance will be the same.

3. Dazed

Dazed Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Actually there are a few important differences between the first gen RTR Wraiths and the Spawn. The Spawn has upgraded WB8 HD Wildboar drive shafts, a dual slipper clutch, waterproof electronics box for the RX and the AE5 waterproof ESC that supports up to 3S Lipo. The Older Wraith and Poison Spyder Wraith have the weaker driveshafts, (one of the things I replaced on my Spyder,) single plate slipper clutch, AE2 non waterproof ESC that is limited to 2S LIPO. The other difference in the ESC's is that the AE2 is programmable with the Castle Link programmer for fine tuning your power curve and drag bake but the AE5 settings are changed by swapping jumpers; Lipo or NiMH with jumper one and drag brake on or off with jumper 2. I swapped the AE5 into my Spyder. Both have the Axial 20 turn motor, OCP axles and plastic links so they will be the same in that respect, and a lot of the same upgrades are needed for either, (drive shafts, links, wheels, tires, etc.) Also the Spawn has a half flat one piece interior that I dislike, a lot! The older Wraiths have the full interior that looks a LOT better and can have a 6 inch figure as a driver. But you can swap the Spawns interior for the older style for about $60 from Dollar Hobby,( http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/axial/wraith-rock-racer.html ), probably cheaper from other sources but they're the ones I usually buy stock parts from. So Spawn is better in a few ways but the first Gen's are better in others, either way you'll want to upgrade a few things to get it right for you and the parts are interchangeable between them so it really comes down to what you like most.

4. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thank you for correcting me @Dazed! I didn't think there were so may differences!

5. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Not to start fights here, but Hunterev has asked for so many vehicles, and can't seem to settle on one, axial rigs are really solid. I really like my ax10 deadbolt, the ridgecrest is nearly the same. the scx10 line of rigs is more geared towards trailing. I am not judging, its just that, here, are your choices here: Axial wraith or axial wraith Spawn, axial deadbolt ax 10, venom creeper, losi night crawler, exceed mad torque, the rc4wd rock dragon, or you can look at the scx10 line of trucks from axial as many others have said. I am just tallying up all these from all the posts. An xr10 will cost over $500 even used, they don't include a radio, and they are a little hard to find. They don't make the xr10, or axial scorpion anymore. Any of these are decent choices, the xr 10 is a great choice but an expensive one at that, you are better off turning an exceed mad torque into a super class crawler. The exceed mad torque will crawl a lot of stuff that these little 1/10 scale rigs won't go up, the exceed mad torque RTR is about $190 or so shipped from nitro rcx. It is a pretty good rig to start off, it has a MOA setup and will crawl couches, you decide here what you want, all of these are pretty half decent options. Not judging here.

#5 Spence123, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
  6. W1ck3d0n3

W1ck3d0n3 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

What you should do is decide weather you want a Trail rig, Rock Racer, or Comp Crawler. The SCX10 is one of the best choices for Scale/Trail rig. The Wraith is good for Trail or Rock Racing. The XR10 is the best for class one MOA comp crawling. the Losi Night Crawler is good for sport class comp crawling. Thats my two cents

7. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

no matter which you choose you will love it. I'd go with the spawn as a starter for the better parts. and worry about scale looks later.

8. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I say Spawn... Better rig over all and a little bit more cost effective because there are no licencing fees, like the Poison Spyder and Wraith have.

Click Links to Compare...
    Wraith http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=AXL90018
    Poison Spyder http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=AXL90031
    Spawn http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=AXL90045

A quick disclaimer, I used Great Hobbies web site for comparison purposes. I have no affiliation with Great Hobbies... I highly recommend you shop local first and for most, if your LHS can not get what you want then go the online route. This is just my opinion and yours may be different, if so then so be it... lol.

Dean

#8 RustyWrench, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015