1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wroncho build need help

Discussion in 'Crawler Build Projects' started by jokersinsanity, Feb 17, 2017.

1. jokersinsanity

jokersinsanity Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    building a wroncho and have some serious wheel chatter/hop only when my wheels are turned any ideas or help????

2. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

it may be the dog bones in the steering binding if it is steering to far

K9654 likes this.
  3. jokersinsanity

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:

4. K9654

K9654 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Just curious, did you get the issue fixed

5. jokersinsanity

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    no not yet just ordered incision link kit for it and appearently the wraith axles come with more steering then they can handle stock so i guess some of the problem is coming from that which a pair of vanquish cvds will fix?

6. RCjunk-E

RCjunk-E Well-Known Member

Media:
    I am also fine tuning a Wroncho build. I had binding from the stock drive shafts, because I am using 2.2 tires and I needed to add a lift. So, I ordered MIP CVD drive shafts. I will add the part number if you need it.

The stock lower links are too short. So, I removed all links and installed the stock upper links in the lower link position BECAUSE the upper links are a little longer. And, I just happened to have another set of Axial aluminum links to use in the upper link position.

You can see the difference between the rear set up, and the front set up. I only have the rear links completed at this moment. By adding length to the links, it pushes the axle further back and provides a lesser degree drive shaft angle that fixes the binding problem.

Here are a couple pics of my unfinished Wroncho:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#6 RCjunk-E, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Bluedually and K9654 like this.
  7. Mark Liersch

Mark Liersch Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    You could actually build your own links from threaded rod, steel brake line, and Traxxas Revo rod ends. Very inexpensive. Fine tune your link lengths, get the correct pinion angles, add some down-low weight, and ditch the funky bendy plastic stock links... Way cheaper than buying aluminum ready made links, and WAAAY stronger... You may want to clock your rear axle down somewhat as well...

K9654 likes this.
  8. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nice looking truck, by the way...

9. jokersinsanity

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:

heres the issue axles sway side to side and seem to be binding somewhere maybe the video will help

K9654 likes this.
  10. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I think mounting the upper ends of the lower links to the outside of the frame may solve the side to side issue... Check out the build thread for the Silverback Wroncho, a fellow (@K9654) has put together a real beast that works real well... You may find some answers there...

walter and K9654 like this.
  11. K9654

ELiTE MEMBER

So, the problem with the wroncho conversion on stock chassis is the link mounting (binding with driveshaft). I think the side to side may be caused by the one link being mounted center. I agree above, I think the proper angle of mounting will probably fix this.

Solution, since you have a very nice set of links, making new ones is out. You need to mount your upper links a little higher than the stock chassis mount.

That's accomplished a couple ways. Fabricating brackets (wroncho plates) , a ST Racing chassis lift (app 65.00 shipped on eBay) , and a set of new chassis rails. If you checkout Silverback, I used Kodiak Metal Works V1 chassis rails. Solves all binding issues and allows for a little adjustment on axle angle. 45-55 dollars.
    Only draw back on that chassis is that it's thicker than stock, you will need some longer hardware and slide over style bumpers will not work.

Just curious though, does it wobble with weight on the wheels also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 K9654, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    walter likes this.
  12. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Ah, there ya are @K9654, figured you'd be the best guy for advice for this fella...

walter and K9654 like this.
  13. jokersinsanity

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:

K9654 likes this.
  14. K9654

ELiTE MEMBER

Sweet, that's pretty awesome. Thank you for the guru compliment. I don't know that I would go that far but I have been building and changing Silverback for a long time to get it the way it is now. And probably have experienced just about every problem you can, lol.

I have put a lot of time and money into silverback and got lots of good advice from a lot of good people on here. If my trial and error and expense can help someone else avoid the same issue, I'm a happy man.

You let me know if I can help anyway. The camper is AWESOME!!!!!

Mark Liersch likes this.
  15. Seldon_j

Seldon_j Active Member

It might be your dig setup causing the bind

Mark Liersch likes this.
  16. jokersinsanity

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:

no dig system everything "wraith wise" came from the ax10 ridgecrest - 20t motor transmission, driveshafts, axles, shocks are 100-105mm maybe just a cheapy aftermarket set. just put boom racing cvds in the front axle and a 1/4" incision stainless steel link kit. gonna order the kodiak v1 frame rail since K9654 had such good luck with them

Mark Liersch and K9654 like this.
  17. jokersinsanity

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Custom-Build...745632?hash=item3614a75920:g:2dUAAOSw0UdXtN2k
    think those will work for the wroncho? cant find the kodiak ones

18. K9654

ELiTE MEMBER

19. jokersinsanity

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    was using incision wraith links nice and heavy figured be strong and help bring weight down and the research i did guys were saying they were perfect for wroncho builds so thats why i got them, i tried the scx10s at first using the aluminum 12.3'' wheelbase link kit and still just no luck. so technically i could either way. if i mount the lower links on the outside of the frame rails can i use the skidplate mounts for the uppers?

20. K9654

ELiTE MEMBER

With that new chassis you won't have to mount the links on the outside and the other holes should give you plenty of positioning options for the others. Here in a bit I'll go get a close of pic of "Silverback" and I'll show you how I have mine mounted and I'll also take a pic of the axle position.