1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XXX-SCT Sway Bars

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by rcdude2020, Aug 17, 2013.

1. rcdude2020

rcdude2020 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

So I recently acquired a Losi XXX-SCT and was looking into the sway bar kits. Now so you know Im not racing this truck, Im just bashing around the yard. I have tooled around with the idea of making my own sway bar kit but have never seen them installed. Ive done searches online and came up empty. So I was hoping that someone out there may have a set on their SCT and would be willing to post up some pics of how its installed. I have the means to make what is needed but I need visuals. Any one willing to post some pics for me??

Thanks
    Cody

2. bbwolf

bbwolf Guest

I have used sway bars before. But only for racing as they hinder your truck while bashing. Just wondering why you would want them unless you plan on racing. I have had 5 different rides that used them, and when I was just playing around, I would take them off.

3. bbwolf

bbwolf Guest

Here is a "ruff" draft -
    [​IMG]

4. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

Ive noticed alot that when I make quick sharp turns I get one rear wheel that lifts and spins and it burns up the tread. So I figured the sway bars would help with this problem. My bashing area is mainly the street and parking lot across from my house. No real places for bashing with out driving a bit. So what is it that hinders the truck when bashing?

5. bbwolf

bbwolf Guest

Well, if your on pavement, then it would slow down the tire life. Most people when they bash around, do so on dirt. I would go with the heaviest ones you can get then if your on the blacktop.

6. bbwolf

bbwolf Guest

I should add, you can also limit that by going higher on the shock oil. I don't know whats in there, but go up 30 wt. in the rear

7. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

The shocks are stock and dont believe that anything has ever been done with them, so I would imagine that the oil is stock as well. Its been a long time since Ive been in the RC game so shock oil was not even a thought in my head LOL. I get some 30wt and give that a try.

8. bbwolf

bbwolf Guest

Stock should be 27 to 30. I would go with 60 or so.

9. bbwolf

bbwolf Guest

Normally, in an on road car, you want the front stiffer spring, and heaver oil then the rear. That's for racing. But, your using an off road car to drive on road, so you need to stiffen up the rear. To just use your springs will not help as much as you might think. (For those reading and not understanding why - here ya go) Springs just control your droop, or sag if you will. On an off road car/truck, you want your ride set at about 1.5 inches in the rear, and about 1.75 for the front on dirt. This is because of the high center of gravity. If you raise the rear, it will change the way the truck drives ie: it will spin out at any little turn. While I will admit, doughnuts are fun, that kills a set of tires fast. To fix that, you go up in oil for the rear. Keep your ride set as listed above. If after doing all that, it still wants to lift a tire up front, the use a stiffer spring up front. Keep the ride set close to 1.75 inches and you should be good to go.

10. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

Going to be a couple weeks for I make it back to the LHS but I will definately be getting some shock oil. You said that I should go with 60wt, is that for all 4 corners or just the rear?

11. bbwolf

bbwolf Guest

Just the rears. Mind you the front will still want to dig in, so you may have to put 35 or 40 up front. Oil is the cheapest way to do what you want.

12. bbwolf

bbwolf Guest

As a side note...

Back before drifting was cool, I took some HPI RS4 pro shocks and put them on a losi truck. I used a 1/8 inch piece of alum to make a adapter for my shock tower. Put on some bald tires, a 10 dbl motor, and was doing some nice 4 wheel drifts.

13. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

Mines just a 2 wheel drive but before I bought trenchers for the back, my rears were bald as could be and could get it drifting pretty good down the street. Although my garage floor is super smooth so I can still get it drifting pretty good in there with the trenchers LOL

14. bbwolf

bbwolf Guest

That's what mine was, but older. It was a xxt.