1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yellow NQD Jet boat build

Discussion in 'Speed & Jet Boats' started by 4mods, Jun 4, 2011.

1. mypuppers

mypuppers Member

hey mods. love the set up in your jet boat . mine is pretty modest . i use the stock jet unit with a small 28mm x 47mm 4200 kv motor. i dropped in a 30 amp esc and standard futaba servo. i water cooled esc and motor . had to make a coupler for it , as i couldn't find one on e bay. she is now smooth and vibe free. it goes pretty good on this set up. not supper fast but still way better than it was out of the box. lol!

2. colin2455

colin2455 New Member

The drives are pretty close in size I think the graupner one might even be slightly smaller in parts but uses a 540 can motor mount.
    yeah, I thought so as well, but I guess its a slower motor for the higher kv. I dunno really.. lol.
    Regards Colin Hanks.

3. morety324

morety324 New Member

Just found this thred today lol. I have two of these boats and I am looking for a jet drive. My setup is almost exactly what the Moose has. These boats are pretty fun and run fairly fast. Is there a jet drive that will handle a 4800 kv motor??? The stock one works but at high revs it will sometimes loose suction in the drive (not sure I spet that right lol). I like to get both boats going this spring and do some water bashing. Any suggestions will be appreaciated.

4. morety324

morety324 New Member

hey scooby did you ever find a brushless twin system for your boat. If so what did you go with. I have one of these boat and a cabin sytle boat to. use them for fishing with lol lol they work pretty good for fishing.

5. Tiernan85

Tiernan85 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Stock jet drive should handle that motor without any problems as long as you're running 2s lipo, it's still a little high on the kv, but should work. Set your impeller as close to the stator as possible to help reduce any cavitation, but I suppose on full throttle you may still lose prime. If you're on 3s, it's just WAY too much rpm.

6. morety324

morety324 New Member

Anybody have any suggestion on stopping leakage in these boat. I have tried shoe goo and plastic dip, several layers. Seems to be leaking from the left side of jet as u look at it from the front of the boat. I have used plastic dip around the bottom of boat to but can stop leak inside.

7. Tiernan85

ELiTE MEMBER

I used shoe goo for everything. Shoe goo will have a better hold than the plastidip. I did a thin bead around the whole jet when installing it and than ran a thin bead around the underneath and smoothed it out while it was malleable. I also ran a bead around the stator when installing it. I still get minimal amounts of water in from somewhere but it's literally only a few drops and I can run 4 batts without having to worry about it.

8. MrRcFanatik

MrRcFanatik Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

@morety324 - If the shoe goo isn't working for you, you could remove the drive, clean all the goop off it, and then re-install it and seal it up with epoxy. Might help some. Frankly, shoe goo should do the trick for ya though! Try putting the boat into the bathtub and pushing it into the water - not so that it goes under, but just enough that it puts pressure on the drive... then you might be able to pin-point the exact area of the leak so you can fix it.
    Good luck!:D

Greenie likes this.
  9. 4mods

4mods Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

Or, fill your boat from the inside and watch the outside. I did this once to find the leak.

At the end of the video I show the bottom of my boat with a mod I tried to scoop up water better.... not sure it helped at all.. lol. A smooth straight driveline is the key to good results with these boats that is for sure.

Testing jet boat, pool. - YouTube

10. scoobyblue

scoobyblue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Guys these are awsome. Great work. Im currently doing the brushless conversion now. But have a big problem. I got it all filled up and hit the throttle, and the prop shaft vibrated and then bent. So bad it wore out the prop fins and damaged the jet drive. In one hit. So i figure i need a new jet drive unit. Can anyone point me in the write direction to find the parts for this.? Please help me guys.
    I used a 1/16 erevo brushless system in it. Same as crawler ted.
    I jus got the boat an its never seen the water yet. So bummed out over it so if anoy one can help. Please do.
    Cheers

11. Tiernan85

ELiTE MEMBER

I had a similar problem with my stock bits, but fortunately for me I was able to work it out before I did any damage.

Being that you're in Australia, you're in luck as there's a fella on ebay(SicRC) who has some great modded jetdrives and spare parts. I think he does a package with a modded jetdrive and aftermarket flexishaft and coupler. All absolutely great parts from stock and will reduce the chance of vibrations to litterally nothing.

Here's his site: http://stores.ebay.ie/SicRC

I don't actually see any modded jet's on his site, but fire him a message and I'm sure he'll sort you out or just buy them seperate and you can do it yourself with these two items.

Mod Kit to suit NQD Tear Into Jet Unit | eBay
    NQD Tear Into Stock Jet Unit 757 6024 | eBay

12. scoobyblue

scoobyblue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Cheers man. Had a good looksy around an stumbled on a guy that also does the same mod. And so far so good. When i bought the new jet drive he also included a pre set sleeve for me. To siut my motor shaft. A new prop, new flexi shaft. Spare brass sleeve. A new nozzle with a water cooling mod. And also stainless steel slide bars to replace the original plastis ones. I was blown away.
    Ebay. Ondabeach he calls himself. Sell hulls, and lots more. Top guy.
    Ill be throwing up some pics soon. Its a lil messy right now lol. Blue silicone all over the place like a mad womans breakfast.
    But thanks man also. Ill be keepn in contact with sicrc as well.

13. Tiernan85

ELiTE MEMBER

Haha, Ondabeach is SicRC! SicRC is his ebay store, ondabeach is his username. None the less, you found the right guy and it's good to see he was able to help you out!

14. Bl2000s10

Bl2000s10 New Member

I also did the 4800kv water cooled motor and the birdie 50a water cooled esc with 5000mah 11.1v 25c lipo and motor cuts out at full throttle under load. Any helpful hints for full throttle running? Or I can tell you guys what I programmed the esc to and can any one tell me if that's my problem?

15. Tiernan85

ELiTE MEMBER

I've not run that esc, but I've heard some mixed reviews about it's reliability from others who have.

What motor are you running?

A few things to note with that setup:

On 3s, your rpms are going to be way to high. That high of kv should be run on a 2s with these jets. With the rpms you're hitting it's just going to cause the jet to cavitate/loose prime. I'm thinking that possibly you're pulling more amps with that setup than the esc can handle? Only just a thought.

I run a 3400kv 2040 motor on 3s and that gives me about the maximum usable rpms. Usually folks running that high of kv would be running on 2s

16. Bl2000s10

Bl2000s10 New Member

Ok I will try 2c 7.4. My buddy did same set up but with smaller wire. His runs fine but wires get realy hot and start to melt. Thanks for the help.

17. Bl2000s10

Bl2000s10 New Member

Ok, I tried the 2c lipo with same results. Could wiring be the issue? I used some standard automotive 9gauge wire I had laying around, that should be plenty big enough right?

18. Bl2000s10

Bl2000s10 New Member

Sry 14g wire

19. Tiernan85

ELiTE MEMBER

Are the wires really hot when it cuts out? Do you have any links to the motor you are using? It sounds like your esc is overheating. Do you have any watercooling setup for it?

20. Bl2000s10

Bl2000s10 New Member

yes motor and esc r water cooledgoing to change motors, im going to try a 50a birdie esc, 4900kv hacker motor, and 2200mah 3s. Need to wrap motor with copper tube for cooling, because this one is not water cooled.